No announcement yet.

code 56 98

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My money would still be on the battery cable. I'd be tempted to say TFI as well, but you said in the last page that you installed a remote mount TFI?
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

And since it doesn't die once it is running... definitely weird. I would check the voltage drop at the starter at this point. If it drops below 10V, I'd replace the starter cable. Maybe even use a fatter one than stock.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I don't know anything box-specific (BTW, you should put your car in your signature so people know what you have), but the fact that the problem showed up after addressing the other problem suggests a good look should be taken around the area that was addressed.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

found frayed wire to cannister purge solenoid.fixed and now it starts above 190 but 200 and up its still has issues.where is the diode located
          Attached Files

Comment

its somewhere in the harness on top of the engine. Look for a plastic blob with 2 wires going to it. If that was bad either the IAC could not work, or the computer would have fried by now depending on the fail mode.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Like others have said,

Sort your batter cables out to ensure they can carry current, verify timing with the spout connector disconnected and then look into replacing your fuel pressure regulator. Sometimes Ashley's old TC would crank & crank for up to 8 seconds sometimes before it lit up, but once lit, the thing ran great. We never figured it out but LTDMan83 bought it, that annoyed him, he replaced that and presto- car had no issues starting hot or cold. Your results may vary of course but it's something to look at..
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I have new 0gauge wire from battery to starter and to ground did voltage drop test and was good timing is set fpr is new Motorcraft 30-36 psi unplugged 40

Comment

So was Ashley's, yet there was still something about it which caused it to start rough. LTDMan83 replaced it and it has been fine ever since.

Is there slop in the timing chain?? Have you done that test yet? I dunno man, I'm grasping at straws but that's better than air, right?
                  Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 11-07-2018, 12:27 PM.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

try measuring voltage drop directly across the solenoid. I had problems with my truck, the solenoid itself was losing 3-4 volts and it made the starter run slow.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                    X