PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: code 56 98

I post a lot...

Also are the injectors getting open signal when hot?
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Is the TPS getting power when hot? (This will let you know if the other sensors are getting power. This will also let you know if the ECM is having a 5V regulator issue.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Got Power and pulse to injectors and got power 5v to tps

I really am out of ideas now.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

other than cranking weird I have nothing either. Could be timing, could be something starter or wiring related.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

pulled#1 spark plug found oil on threads.then checked them all #5 had oil too could this be my problem for hot restarts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1262.jpg  

No mean-spiritedness here. IPreferDIY's Avatar

Dunno myself, but for the sake of clarification, has the engine been running just fine after getting to normal operating temperature after a cold start?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box "tuba" (in place of the "trumpet"), headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, NKL4 PCM (from a 2000 CVPI, nothing great there apart from highway cruising), KYB Gas-A-Just shocks (after >202,000 km on originals)

starts fine cold reaches opt temps runs fine just when shut off hard to restart

Will it eventually restart hot or do you HAVE to wait for it to cool down? Will it start with SPOUT jumper pulled?

HAVE to wait for it to cool down.never tried with SPOUT jumper pulled

My money would still be on the battery cable. I'd be tempted to say TFI as well, but you said in the last page that you installed a remote mount TFI?
    óJohn

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - getting her back in shape (POTM March 2017)
    1995 Mustang Cobra coupe - keeping it simple
    1966 Mustang coupe - soon-to-be project: no longer buried in junk; out of the garage!

And since it doesn't die once it is running... definitely weird. I would check the voltage drop at the starter at this point. If it drops below 10V, I'd replace the starter cable. Maybe even use a fatter one than stock.

No mean-spiritedness here. IPreferDIY's Avatar

I don't know anything box-specific (BTW, you should put your car in your signature so people know what you have), but the fact that the problem showed up after addressing the other problem suggests a good look should be taken around the area that was addressed.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box "tuba" (in place of the "trumpet"), headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, NKL4 PCM (from a 2000 CVPI, nothing great there apart from highway cruising), KYB Gas-A-Just shocks (after >202,000 km on originals)

found frayed wire to cannister purge solenoid.fixed and now it starts above 190 but 200 and up its still has issues.where is the diode located
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1281.jpg  

its somewhere in the harness on top of the engine. Look for a plastic blob with 2 wires going to it. If that was bad either the IAC could not work, or the computer would have fried by now depending on the fail mode.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Like others have said,

Sort your batter cables out to ensure they can carry current, verify timing with the spout connector disconnected and then look into replacing your fuel pressure regulator. Sometimes Ashley's old TC would crank & crank for up to 8 seconds sometimes before it lit up, but once lit, the thing ran great. We never figured it out but LTDMan83 bought it, that annoyed him, he replaced that and presto- car had no issues starting hot or cold. Your results may vary of course but it's something to look at..
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I have new 0gauge wire from battery to starter and to ground did voltage drop test and was good timing is set fpr is new Motorcraft 30-36 psi unplugged 40

So was Ashley's, yet there was still something about it which caused it to start rough. LTDMan83 replaced it and it has been fine ever since.

Is there slop in the timing chain?? Have you done that test yet? I dunno man, I'm grasping at straws but that's better than air, right?
    Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 11-07-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

try measuring voltage drop directly across the solenoid. I had problems with my truck, the solenoid itself was losing 3-4 volts and it made the starter run slow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12