Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brand new starter and new red top optima

Comment

One possible thing to look into: I've had two Ford vehicles over the years that eventually suffered from a corroded starter power wire (wire from the solenoid to the starter). It would crank just fine when cold, but would either crank very slowly or just click solenoid when hot. The engine bay temperature would be enough to raist the temperature of the corroded wire to the point that not enough current would get to the starter to start the engine. The symptoms seem more like a dead battery, but yours is new. I did originally did the same thing as you (replaced battery with Optima red top and new starter), but still had the problem until I replaced the starter cable.
      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

What were the measurements of the temp sensors at temp?
        Also, have we checked the grounds on the engine?
        Are the ECM and fuel pump relays working right? Are they loose in the connectors?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Relocated battery to rear all new 0gauge wire.did voltage drop test cold and hot nothing wrong there.when hot I have spark and fuel pressure it just doesn’t run it just cranks.put new distributor with ford pip new relocated tfi cap rotor plugs wires new coil.all new act ect MASS-AIR sensors checked all wires fuse links also swapped cpu with good one and problem still there I’m lost on this

Comment

To me it sounds like the timing is advanced way too far. Rotate your distributor counterclockwise and see what happens.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Also are the injectors getting open signal when hot?
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Is the TPS getting power when hot? (This will let you know if the other sensors are getting power. This will also let you know if the ECM is having a 5V regulator issue.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Got Power and pulse to injectors and got power 5v to tps

Comment

I really am out of ideas now.

Comment

other than cranking weird I have nothing either. Could be timing, could be something starter or wiring related.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

pulled#1 spark plug found oil on threads.then checked them all #5 had oil too could this be my problem for hot restarts
                        Attached Files

Comment

Dunno myself, but for the sake of clarification, has the engine been running just fine after getting to normal operating temperature after a cold start?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

starts fine cold reaches opt temps runs fine just when shut off hard to restart

Comment

Will it eventually restart hot or do you HAVE to wait for it to cool down? Will it start with SPOUT jumper pulled?

Comment

HAVE to wait for it to cool down.never tried with SPOUT jumper pulled

Comment

Working...
                                X