Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis aka the rolling junkyard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice looking ride, that 2-tone blue you are doing looks real good. Looks pretty clean underneath too.
    You guys amaze me with the knowledge and just diving into stuff I will never understand. resolder the pcm? sure. swap out the driveshaft with a different type? no problem. Makes me feel like a chump paying a shop to do things like change the ofa gasket. Until i see pics and jack stands and hear what a pita it can be. especially laying on the ground under all that dripping fluid
    96 MGM
    sigpic
    Cruisin up and down the road...

Comment

So been awhile but the DS swap turned out to be a real doozy.

So after swapping the shaft a bunch of times I finally headed to my mechanic friends shop and he found the Fabtech spacer had a bunch of play and was probably a contributing issue to the driveline vibrations. My main problem was really bad vibrations when decelerating. If I had the throttle passed tip in the car would be fine. Let off gas vibration city.

The spacer should fit the pinion flange hub with no play like the pinion yoke does. However as you can see it does not. Called Fabtech and they were of no help.

I had the shaft rebalanced a few times and still had some weird vibrations even without the spacer so I decided to get another yoke with a damper. So I looked around and all of the ones at the yard were toast, rubber ring was falling apart however I decided to see if the trucks had the same trans yoke. Took a yoke off of a 03 4.2 F150 and went over to a few panthers and it fits like a glove, also the F150 yoke has much beefier ears then the regular panther yoke and it is also a little bit longer by about a eighth of a inch.

So took that F150 yoke and the aluminum shaft to the driveline place they rebalanced it and I found another spacer by Zone Off Road and when I got it I tested it on the pinion flange and it fits nice and solid. Installed it and took it for a spin and had some slight vibrations but no deceleration vibrations so I rotated it 90° and its about 90% better then its ever been. Might just keep it where it is as or continue going spline by spline until I find the sweet spot but it takes me longer to lift the car then to take the shaft out so gonna be a while if I do it.

F150 yoke. Not pretty but the damper ring is in great shape.

Zone Offroad spacer. Wish I used this spacer from the get go. Would've been a lot less hassle.

In other news'

Picked up a nail and the spare HPP was useful then the og temp spare.

Windshield #3 is toast. Seriously before this in all of my driving from 1998 I've had 1 windshield replaced on my 95 TC. This car every year I've had to get it replaced sure the insurance is gonna be thrilled.

And the valve cover is leaking and of course its the worst one to replace the RH side.
      1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
      2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

Well the driveshaft u joints have worn in and no longer get any weird vibrations so I didn't even bother to fine tune it.

But a few weeks ago after swapping over to summer tires I took the car for a ride and turned on the EATC and heard a very loud snap. Now airflow is super weak and floor/defrost airflow is non existent. Took a look inside the vent

How it should look:

Heater plenum door hinge is broken. So get to rip the dash apart and try to fix the hinge. And while I'm in there I'll do the blend door actuator and swap to a 03+ Duct so I can fit a double din.

Wonder if I should replace the heater core while I'm in there given the age. Thinking about living dangerously and not doing it.

- Richard

Comment

Considering the heater core is like $30 or so... I'd do it and keep the old one as a spare.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Lockdown scaled back so I was able to get to the yard.

Getting to this point wasn't to bad, took about 25 minutes though I was cutting harnesses cause just wanted to get it done. Took a 04 heater plenum box. Looks like the heater core is apart of it so got a new one to go in.

Also snagged a 03+ duct so I can fit a full 2 Din stereo in.

- Richard

Comment

Decided to try a aero dash removal and its not as easy as a 03+. Those have a nice bulkhead connector on the firewall engine side that makes it a lot easier to get dash away from the firewall without fussing with the wiring loom much. Aero? Not so much you have to remove the wiper tray and pass side splash shield to undo quite a few connectors. Not looking forward to this, removing the dash isn't bad but dealing with all that wiring will be. A;so there is a hidden bracket behind the pass side vent tube that is a real bitch to get to.

Air flow deflection door.

Heater plenum . This one is from a 95 and was already starting to separate so it wasn't going to last much longer.

Also the heater plenum hasn't changed much as the 04 one is identical save for a few molding changes and the cover for the heater core is has a extensions that covers the inlet/outlet pipes.

- Richard

Comment

Neat, the '03+ duct accommodating double DIN is good to know. I wouldn't be surprised if that duct fit a '90, same goes for the heater plenum. Although '90 radio was in a different location, so maybe there are other factors that would not accept the '03+ duct.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Not much new other then the rebuilt alternator that was in the car when I bought it took a shit. Got a new one from Napa.

- Richard

Comment

If you watch SMA, it's not "Napa" but "Napper." Get it right.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Started daily driving the marq again. This week had a interesting problem. Was driving fine the day before next day I noticed that during 90° turns or going up inclines the car would slip and slam violently into gear. Though welp trans is probably gone time to junk it. Checked the fluid smelled burnt despite changing it 30k miles ago. Decided before writing it off let me change the fluid and filter and add some Lucas Trans fix. Drop the pan and the motorcrap filter was lying in the pan. Changed the fluid added the lucas and a new filter and the car is driving fine and the lucas has made the herky jerky 2-3 shift I've always had with the car a lot more subtle.

- Richard

Comment

The filter on those cars is just a press fit? No extra retaining bolts?
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yup, just push the filter into the hole. Held in with a grommet.

My Cars:
                          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Man that's a junk move by Ford's bean counter. "Let me remove the bolts that hold this filter on" really should have got someone fired.
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

If regular maintenance is followed, that grommet support isn't an issue... USUALLY. It's when the trans is never serviced that it becomes an issue.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X