PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis aka the rolling junkyard.

Been awhile but still chugging along. Closing in on 190k.

Not really any projects completed just maintenance. Valve seals are getting worse though. Trying Liqu-Moly Motor Oil Saver, supposedly on the oil forum people have had good results, hoping that it will quell the blue puffs.

First time doing 1992+ panther e brakes. First side took me 2 hours fussing about with those fucking clips, other side 25 minutes. Luckily the lever wasn't frozen if it was then I'd probably have given up.

How the e brake goes together behind hub.

Nice having a working e brake now.

Ever since I bought the car @ 131k the car has had shuddering issue between 22mph to 30mph, really annoying especially when your stuck behind slow pokes. So I thought maybe the known 4R70W issue of the broken 1-2 Accumulator springs was my problem. My car being a 11/96 assembled car I knew I had the old aluminum piston.

So nice having the Dorman pan. No messy fluid drains. Had a hell of a time getting the rubber bonded 1-2 accumulator back in, turns out I didn't have the upper spring all the way in.

Old aluminum piston, yellow upper spring and purple lower spring. No broken springs either. And after all that work still have the shudder annd I stripped one of the pan bolt holes, probably more given what I torqued them to . Dunno if I should try draining all of the fluid from the TC and see if that helps or maybe try some friction modifier. Changed the fluid in pan & filter twice now. Other then the damn shudder the transmission shifts very well for 190k.

Replaced the rear sway bar links as the original 23 year old ones weren't so hot. Used AC Delco 46G0028A links they fit good.
    Last edited by Pvt.Hudson; 11-07-2019 at 07:52 PM.
    1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP

- Richard

What trans fluid are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
    What trans fluid are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Richard

Lightbulb

Put some miles on since swapping out the 1-2 accumulator its gotten a bit shuddering is still there between 1-2. Whatever car still shifts well enough just gonna live with it. Probably the torque convertor.

As I've been racking on the miles the pinging has been getting worse.

Ford has a TSB (Article No. 98-10-1) that states to reprogram the PCM and install a Hitachi MAF. @ around 146k I swapped to a Hitachi MAF from the same car I got my seats from. That kind of helped. But since swapping to a likely unreprogrammed 1997 P71 KBS3 PCM its been pinging a lot more especially when its only slightly warm out like between 40 to 65. So reading on various forums some people said that a newer 2001+ PI MAF will work. So got a MAF from a 2002 bolted it on and I'll be damned thing rarely pings, it will still do it if you lug the engine but its much more muted and doesn't last as long.

2000-2002 MAF on the left, 1992-1999 MAF on the right. Guess the improved airflow from the newer MAF helps. Car runs great, when I swapped it it felt like I just changed the plugs.

It hasn't run this smooth since I bought it 60k miles ago and I've already changed the spark plugs twice.

- Richard

So been using the motor oil saver for the past 6k miles and it has reduced the oil consumption. But the blue smoke after idling is mostly the same. Usually need a quart every 800 miles, now I can go about a thousand or a little more then that.

Wanted to try out the aluminum drive shaft. Everytime I go to the yard and look for one they are bent or really gouged by the front end loaders they use. But I found one off a 09 P71 and it only got scratched by the forks so I bought it.

Had it balanced and got a spare yoke from a 99 CV, driveline shop took the dampener off. Its not the cool Alcoa MMX but its a hell of a lot lighter then a the steel shaft.

Before

After

Did run into a issue where I thought the 99 yoke wouldn't work cause it would only go in about a inch so I swapped it out with my 97 yoke and it was vibration city. Decided to look at the yoke and brake cleaned it and tried it again and it fit. But I think I messed up the balance so I gotta repair my steel shaft and get the aluminum shaft rebalanced. Wish I paid attention to yoke splines then I wouldn't have keep lifting the car and swapping shafts.

Fabtech spacer fits good.

- Richard

Gonna buy me a Mercury BoulevardRide's Avatar

Nice looking ride, that 2-tone blue you are doing looks real good. Looks pretty clean underneath too.
    You guys amaze me with the knowledge and just diving into stuff I will never understand. resolder the pcm? sure. swap out the driveshaft with a different type? no problem. Makes me feel like a chump paying a shop to do things like change the ofa gasket. Until i see pics and jack stands and hear what a pita it can be. especially laying on the ground under all that dripping fluid
    96 MGM

Cruisin up and down the road...

So been awhile but the DS swap turned out to be a real doozy.

So after swapping the shaft a bunch of times I finally headed to my mechanic friends shop and he found the Fabtech spacer had a bunch of play and was probably a contributing issue to the driveline vibrations. My main problem was really bad vibrations when decelerating. If I had the throttle passed tip in the car would be fine. Let off gas vibration city.

The spacer should fit the pinion flange hub with no play like the pinion yoke does. However as you can see it does not. Called Fabtech and they were of no help.

I had the shaft rebalanced a few times and still had some weird vibrations even without the spacer so I decided to get another yoke with a damper. So I looked around and all of the ones at the yard were toast, rubber ring was falling apart however I decided to see if the trucks had the same trans yoke. Took a yoke off of a 03 4.2 F150 and went over to a few panthers and it fits like a glove, also the F150 yoke has much beefier ears then the regular panther yoke and it is also a little bit longer by about a eighth of a inch.

So took that F150 yoke and the aluminum shaft to the driveline place they rebalanced it and I found another spacer by Zone Off Road and when I got it I tested it on the pinion flange and it fits nice and solid. Installed it and took it for a spin and had some slight vibrations but no deceleration vibrations so I rotated it 90 and its about 90% better then its ever been. Might just keep it where it is as or continue going spline by spline until I find the sweet spot but it takes me longer to lift the car then to take the shaft out so gonna be a while if I do it.

F150 yoke. Not pretty but the damper ring is in great shape.

Zone Offroad spacer. Wish I used this spacer from the get go. Would've been a lot less hassle.

In other news'

Picked up a nail and the spare HPP was useful then the og temp spare.

Windshield #3 is toast. Seriously before this in all of my driving from 1998 I've had 1 windshield replaced on my 95 TC. This car every year I've had to get it replaced sure the insurance is gonna be thrilled.

And the valve cover is leaking and of course its the worst one to replace the RH side.

- Richard

Well the driveshaft u joints have worn in and no longer get any weird vibrations so I didn't even bother to fine tune it.

But a few weeks ago after swapping over to summer tires I took the car for a ride and turned on the EATC and heard a very loud snap. Now airflow is super weak and floor/defrost airflow is non existent. Took a look inside the vent

How it should look:

Heater plenum door hinge is broken. So get to rip the dash apart and try to fix the hinge. And while I'm in there I'll do the blend door actuator and swap to a 03+ Duct so I can fit a double din.

Wonder if I should replace the heater core while I'm in there given the age. Thinking about living dangerously and not doing it.

- Richard

Considering the heater core is like $30 or so... I'd do it and keep the old one as a spare.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123