Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis aka the rolling junkyard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience with leaks like that is limited the the 5.0 in boxes, but the idea should be the same. Oil drips down from the leaking oil pressure switch, catches the wind as you're driving and it gets all over the oil pan, trans, exhaust, axle, rear bumper... well getting that far back was the result of a torn oil pan gasket, but basically the whole underside of the car can collect oil due the dips getting caught in the wind while driving.

I think your guesses of oil pressure switch or OFA gasket are right. Form the pictures it looks more like the adapter gasket, but if you can get eyes on that area with the engine running you should see the leak in action. I know on the 5.0 when they leak from the pressure switch it can be hard to tell where it's coming from without the engine running.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

since the switch is the bottom most item... I'd go higher. On my 93, it was the valve covers that were leaking all the oil. I did have to change the OFA once though (remove and have machined flat if you can't source a new one). If yours has the power steering reservoir mounted to the engine, check it for leaks. Since it all rolls down hill, as it were, check top to bottom to find out where the leak starts. If it's where the head meets the block, you could have your work cut out for you with a head gasket.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

OFA is a common leak point on these if you don't see anything wet above it.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It was the OFA gasket. Cleaned it up then started car and the lower port of the oil ports was seeping out the side. Not much bit enough to see.

In the middle of doing it now. Not very fun to do. Pics later.
          1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
          2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

+1 PITA, but not near as bad as suspension stuff. Just f'n messy.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              +1 PITA, but not near as bad as suspension stuff. Just f'n messy.
              Took me all day. Need to get one of those spring clamp pliers. Trying to use channel locks or vise grips is a pain in the royal ass. Had issues with the coolant overflow hose clamp and the OFA one. Also the wiring loom that runs down the side of the OFA is just dumb. I couldn't get the wire back on to the bracket because when you do that it blocks the second bolt that goes into teh block.

While the radiator and coolant overflow hoses went easy enough the OFA one I couldn't get off, seeing as I was replacing the upper & lower hoses I just cut the hose with my tin snips to start then hack sawed it off then took the hose off with my massive channel locks.

Partway through when I got the camera.

Had to JB weld the pressure switch cover. It cracked with the quickness, no surprise considering its been on the car since 11/1996.

Have seen worse, not much corrosion or pitting.

Reason for the leak, the rubber rings of OFA gasket failed to remain pliable. The oil ports on the gasket were completely flat flush with the plastic surround.

Gates hoses fit good.

No leaks now.

- Richard

Comment

Very nice.
                I pop the poewr steering pump when I have to do those. I found it makes it suck a little less.

-ryan s.
                08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                Originally posted by pantera77
                Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Misplaced the gasket then found it. The oil port gaskets are completely flat:

- Richard

Comment

Nice build car looks good.

10/2018

2006 Mercury Grand Marquis
                    Ole Blue Hair

Comment

Been installed for a week now. The lower mileage of the replacement column feels good no squeaks when turning and the shifter feels like new.

Still gotta sort out the media buttons as the resistance values the HU sees are just to close. Like I set MEM to be mute but I can spam vol+/- or BAND and it will mute. Sometimes it takes repeated pressing to get it to function too. The Horn, EATC controls and speed control work no issue. Also the backlighting only really works at full brightness, anything else the buttons will dim or go to full brightness regardless of setting depending on steering wheel position. Don't have a air bag light in my cluster but the warning tone of the air bag control module only beeps when air bag is disconnected.

Got a replacement button pod and gonna try that.

- Richard

Comment

Got a replacement media/eatc button pod and a few other things.

Also scored a 1998 TC steering wheel in proper denim blue in awesome shape for $20 so I'm gonna use that. Also noticed that the leather is a lot thicker then a aero TC wheel. Also gonna try the 98+ single stage air bag and see what happens. If it fries the air bag control mod internal fuse I have access to quite a few aeros so no big deal there. The resistance value of the 98+ air bag is only about 1 ohm higher then a aero first gen airbag. I don't like the plastic Lincoln logo over the embossed one but its in the proper color.

The pcb of the replacement button pod looks in better shape then the one I have so I'm hoping that it will solve the illumination and the media buttons having to close of resistance. The button pod I'm using the pins on the pcb look kind of gross:

- Richard

Comment

New one is on left is much better looking.

- Richard

Comment

So a whale bag in a aero is no go:

Button swap not sure but the buttons do respond faster for the stereo but they are still very close in resistance values and still finicky. Have to do more troubleshooting on that end.

Now I gotta find a place that will mix SEM Colorcoat to denim blue so I can paint the airbag in the proper color. Removing the buttons pods on my 97 steering wheel damaged the paint so the original prairie tan is showing.

- Richard

Comment

Shame. I'd love to have a proper Mercury emblem on my steering wheel, but the Continental airbag will just keep on at this rate. I truly believe all Whales rolled out as Second Generation air bag vehicles, unless somehow super early build 1998s made in late 1997 rolled out as unicorns sporting a first generation until but I find that doubtful.

My Cars:
                              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

You know, that blue trim doesn't look so bad contrasted against the gray dash. Don't know if I said this already but I applaud the blue interior conversion. I absolutely hate gray. It's like the most bland yet most popular interior "color" and I wince to call it a color. Give me blue, black, tan or red/burgundy please.
                                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                                X