PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis aka the rolling junkyard.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    +1 PITA, but not near as bad as suspension stuff. Just f'n messy.
    Took me all day. Need to get one of those spring clamp pliers. Trying to use channel locks or vise grips is a pain in the royal ass. Had issues with the coolant overflow hose clamp and the OFA one. Also the wiring loom that runs down the side of the OFA is just dumb. I couldn't get the wire back on to the bracket because when you do that it blocks the second bolt that goes into teh block.

While the radiator and coolant overflow hoses went easy enough the OFA one I couldn't get off, seeing as I was replacing the upper & lower hoses I just cut the hose with my tin snips to start then hack sawed it off then took the hose off with my massive channel locks.

Partway through when I got the camera.

Had to JB weld the pressure switch cover. It cracked with the quickness, no surprise considering its been on the car since 11/1996.

Have seen worse, not much corrosion or pitting.

Reason for the leak, the rubber rings of OFA gasket failed to remain pliable. The oil ports on the gasket were completely flat flush with the plastic surround.

Gates hoses fit good.

No leaks now.
    1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP

- Richard

Vinyl Cheese, Meat Pasty SVT98t's Avatar

Very nice.
    I pop the poewr steering pump when I have to do those. I found it makes it suck a little less.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 167k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 58,171 miles
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 193k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Misplaced the gasket then found it. The oil port gaskets are completely flat:

- Richard

Nice build car looks good.

10/2018

2006 Mercury Grand Marquis
    Ole Blue Hair

Been installed for a week now. The lower mileage of the replacement column feels good no squeaks when turning and the shifter feels like new.

Still gotta sort out the media buttons as the resistance values the HU sees are just to close. Like I set MEM to be mute but I can spam vol+/- or BAND and it will mute. Sometimes it takes repeated pressing to get it to function too. The Horn, EATC controls and speed control work no issue. Also the backlighting only really works at full brightness, anything else the buttons will dim or go to full brightness regardless of setting depending on steering wheel position. Don't have a air bag light in my cluster but the warning tone of the air bag control module only beeps when air bag is disconnected.

Got a replacement button pod and gonna try that.

- Richard

Got a replacement media/eatc button pod and a few other things.

Also scored a 1998 TC steering wheel in proper denim blue in awesome shape for $20 so I'm gonna use that. Also noticed that the leather is a lot thicker then a aero TC wheel. Also gonna try the 98+ single stage air bag and see what happens. If it fries the air bag control mod internal fuse I have access to quite a few aeros so no big deal there. The resistance value of the 98+ air bag is only about 1 ohm higher then a aero first gen airbag. I don't like the plastic Lincoln logo over the embossed one but its in the proper color.

The pcb of the replacement button pod looks in better shape then the one I have so I'm hoping that it will solve the illumination and the media buttons having to close of resistance. The button pod I'm using the pins on the pcb look kind of gross:

- Richard

New one is on left is much better looking.

- Richard

So a whale bag in a aero is no go:

Button swap not sure but the buttons do respond faster for the stereo but they are still very close in resistance values and still finicky. Have to do more troubleshooting on that end.

Now I gotta find a place that will mix SEM Colorcoat to denim blue so I can paint the airbag in the proper color. Removing the buttons pods on my 97 steering wheel damaged the paint so the original prairie tan is showing.

- Richard

Shame. I'd love to have a proper Mercury emblem on my steering wheel, but the Continental airbag will just keep on at this rate. I truly believe all Whales rolled out as Second Generation air bag vehicles, unless somehow super early build 1998s made in late 1997 rolled out as unicorns sporting a first generation until but I find that doubtful.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

You know, that blue trim doesn't look so bad contrasted against the gray dash. Don't know if I said this already but I applaud the blue interior conversion. I absolutely hate gray. It's like the most bland yet most popular interior "color" and I wince to call it a color. Give me blue, black, tan or red/burgundy please.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
    Shame. I'd love to have a proper Mercury emblem on my steering wheel, but the Continental airbag will just keep on at this rate. I truly believe all Whales rolled out as Second Generation air bag vehicles, unless somehow super early build 1998s made in late 1997 rolled out as unicorns sporting a first generation until but I find that doubtful.
    Seeing as my job 1 1998 (2/15/98) sports "second generation airbags" stickers on its windows, I think its safe to say all '98s are 2nd gen. The module is on top of the trans tunnel on a '98+, its physically too big to fit in/on the pillar where it is in my '97.

I still need to get the '98-'00 Townie clockspring so I can retrofit redundant controls to my '98. I have 2 redundant control steering wheels to choose from in the correct color. The original one from my Townie and the wood rimmed '02 Continental wheel that is in the Townie now. The '02 wheel is actually Medium Parchment, but its really close to the Prairie Tan in my Townie. Actually not 100% sure which color the '98 has, that was the changeover year and the 2 colors are so close I can't tell.
    -Steve

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~95k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, all natural weight reduction as the parts fall off..
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Changed the shocks as they started getting a little softer and the supplied bushings were toast on the fronts.

KYB fasteners flash rust the second they are installed. Had to snap the studs on both front shocks. And when it came to the rears I used a 15mm when it should've been a 14mm and stripped the pass side.

Took two Milwaukee blades to get through the rubber bushing.

Old one out:

New one in:

- Richard

The bean counter who didn’t allow the extra 0.5 cent it could have cost for upper shock mounting access through the trunk should be lynched.

Glad you conquered them though. I need to do the same on my 90.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    Glad you conquered them though. I need to do the same on my 90.
    Second time I've done them. First time I ever changed rears myself on a panther was on this car. My previous panthers I'd take it somewhere else and pay someone else to do them.

When I got the car it had rear Monroe OESpectrums and came out without a fuss and the front were original or replaced a long while ago Motorcrafts. Had to snap the front studs on those Motorcrap shocks. This time I learned my lesson and sprayed some cosmoline on the fasteners so if and when I need to remove them again it won't result in destruction of the shock to remove them.

Hoping I can warranty these KYB's on RA without any fuss. Sucks you gotta pay return shipping. Wish they had a regional drop off place.
    Last edited by Pvt.Hudson; 03-06-2019 at 11:03 PM.

- Richard

Found a 1997 CV P71 PCM for cheap and swapped it. KBS3 is the tear tag ID.

Been almost a week. Gonna keep it in. It shifts a lot better then the original PCM. Though it has made the 1-2 shift even more herky jerky probably do to it being the original weak accumulator design.

- Richard

New tires to replace the $254 china no seasons I was previously running:

Sumitomo HTR ZII in 235/60-16.

They actually ride harsher then the 18s (Michelin Xice3 215/55-18) and were a bit squirrely when first installed but now that they have some miles on them they grip pretty good. Also adjusted the rear height as it was to low in the rear now it sits proper.

Finally got around to replacing my worn out sway bar bushing by buying replacement bushings that came with a new bar:

Old one out

New one in

A whale P71 29.5mm bar. Its nice not hearing anything clunks on the front end now.

- Richard

Finally got around to resoldering my cluster that was reading 0mph and getting 99mpg at WOT and getting my damn media buttons to work.

So far so good. Hack noob soldering but the cluster is now working.

F U N !

Got my media buttons working. So it turns out if you want to retain steering wheel controls using aero TC redundant control steering wheel you need a adapter. When I initially installed the TC wheel in January I tried the PAC SWI-RC but I couldn't get it to work. So I just connected it directly to the stereo but it still was glitchy. Turns out the steering wheel controls for the stereo/eatc aren't resistive but voltage based so thats why a adapter is needed. Its a pita to program but I got the SWI-RC to program and now the buttons work as they are supposed to, no more press same button twice and get three different results.

Also managed to somehow break the shifter cable adjustment bracket, probably back in January. No wonder I couldn't get the indicator in Park. Fixed it with some loctite epoxy, hold it holds cause there isn't any aftermarket part listed for panthers and not sure if the Dorman part for trucks would work (in theory it should considering most of the rwd Ford steering columns are the same but who knows).

- Richard

Ford Fullsize For Life! marquis_82_withneons's Avatar

Junkyard builds are by far the best kind of builds. I love how interchangeable panthers are.
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Daily Rice - Blue 1987 Plymouth Horizon - 2.2L 147K, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, BORLA #workbeater

Permatex plastic epoxy no go on holding the shifter indicator cable bracket together.

JB Weld with a staple for reinforcement seems to be holding up a lot better:

Should've used JB Weld to start with.

- Richard

Drier/Accumulator decided to rot out thanks to the foam insulation koozy. Leaked the PAG46 oil all over the right front chassis.

Removing it.

Installed new drier/accumulator, orifice tube, orings and painted the retaining ring.

Was looking to replace the temp spare tire but the prices on those are almost $100, found a HPP for $40 with a tire that isn't 22+ years old so now a member of the full size spare club.

Swapped from gray 2001 dual visors to proper denim blue ones from a 2000.

Found a 1999 Denim blue package tray with speaker grills. Was gonna use a 2000 one but it has no speaker grills just holes under the carpet. Swapped it out now the interior is done. Looks good with the gray speaker grills.

- Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12