PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis aka the rolling junkyard.

Been awhile but still chugging along. Closing in on 190k.

Not really any projects completed just maintenance. Valve seals are getting worse though. Trying Liqu-Moly Motor Oil Saver, supposedly on the oil forum people have had good results, hoping that it will quell the blue puffs.

First time doing 1992+ panther e brakes. First side took me 2 hours fussing about with those fucking clips, other side 25 minutes. Luckily the lever wasn't frozen if it was then I'd probably have given up.

How the e brake goes together behind hub.

Nice having a working e brake now.

Ever since I bought the car @ 131k the car has had shuddering issue between 22mph to 30mph, really annoying especially when your stuck behind slow pokes. So I thought maybe the known 4R70W issue of the broken 1-2 Accumulator springs was my problem. My car being a 11/96 assembled car I knew I had the old aluminum piston.

So nice having the Dorman pan. No messy fluid drains. Had a hell of a time getting the rubber bonded 1-2 accumulator back in, turns out I didn't have the upper spring all the way in.

Old aluminum piston, yellow upper spring and purple lower spring. No broken springs either. And after all that work still have the shudder annd I stripped one of the pan bolt holes, probably more given what I torqued them to . Dunno if I should try draining all of the fluid from the TC and see if that helps or maybe try some friction modifier. Changed the fluid in pan & filter twice now. Other then the damn shudder the transmission shifts very well for 190k.

Replaced the rear sway bar links as the original 23 year old ones weren't so hot. Used AC Delco 46G0028A links they fit good.
    Last edited by Pvt.Hudson; 11-07-2019 at 08:52 PM.
    1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP

- Richard

What trans fluid are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
    What trans fluid are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP

- Richard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123