Weird horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird horn

My 1997 Marquis horn is weak with ignition off and strong with ignition on.why? Thanks

How is your battery doing? Sounds like it may be dickered. Of all the electrical crap in a car, horns usually pull the most current, right behind the starter. So with a weak battery, I could see the horn being weak but when running, a properly functioning alternator will keep the battery at like 14.7V or what not.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I will test the battery thanks

Comment

+1 battery probably has a weak cell. Have someone crank the car. If it drops below 11V before it starts, you have at least 1 weak or dead cell.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
          How is your battery doing? Sounds like it may be dickered. Of all the electrical crap in a car, horns usually pull the most current, right behind the starter. So with a weak battery, I could see the horn being weak but when running, a properly functioning alternator will keep the battery at like 14.7V or what not.
          +1. I have a voltmeter installed in my car, and I can watch it drop considerably when the horn is on. I'll check it out today and try and get an approximate voltage drop. Also, I have two pairs of factory horns installed, so it draws a bit more power, lol.

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Mo powah!
            I've thought about installing the four note Cadillac horns in my cars. That would require quite some juice.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
              Mo powah!
              I've thought about installing the four note Cadillac horns in my cars. That would require quite some juice.
              Do it! I can help get more power to those horns, and I'm sure Kevin would help too.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Well with that kind of support how can I say no? I'll have to start looking at Cadillacs at yards now. Was a bit of an obscure option and GM horns don't work all that well after so many years but they are fixable.

Comment

Another thing I want to do
                  2010 Mercury Grand Marquis LS “The Douche” - 70mm throttle body, P71 airbox, 21mm rear sway bay, dual exhaust, Dodge rims, 89K and counting. 4/2018-
                  1966 Ford Thunderbird (390FE) “Fordy McFordface” - engine rebuild No. 3. 11/2016-
                  RIP 2005 Buick LaCrosse CXS “Jumba” - gone too soon, 229K. 6/2017-2/2018
                  RIP 2001 Chevrolet Tracker LT “Featherbrick” - gone too late, 156K POS. 6/2016-9/2016.
                  Sold 2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - 198K. 6/2016-4/2018

Comment

Thank you it was the battery a bad cell

Comment

Working...
                    X