Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New from western ny, need advice

Hello all, names Robert.
    Let me start by saying i just had a phone call that makes me second guess my next action.
    Anyway, perusing craigslist i came across a 92 MGM that has only 67k miles on it for,get this...$800. So i start getting giddy and makes plans to go check it out tomorrow (24th). I called the local ford guru from two towns over and good god, this guy was a complete dick. Ive never had a phone call like this one (funny because i spoke to him before and he was great). I asked him a simple question that turned into a full blown angry speech from him. That said id like to know what i should look out for when looking over this car.
    The owner states that it "burns a little oil" which i understand is commonplace for the 4.6? The driverside rear window regulator is shot, no biggy.
    I know to check the frame rails for rot, brake lines for rot and normal car things such as ball joints, wheel bearings and whatnot. But this would be my first time looking at a panther platform car and so here i am asking for the advice of panther owners.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome

The early 4.6 is known for valve seal problems which shows up as oil burn. Its not the end of the world to fix it and with that little mileage I'd bet you can make it stop burning oil entirely if you do it. Tools exist to change the seals on the car, no need to remove heads or any of that.

The window regs on the aero cars all kind of suck. The cables break, its not a great design.

One specific thing to look at on a 92 depends what transmission it has. Mfg date until 3/92 had an AOD, after that was the AODE. A look at the throttle body will also tell you. If its got 2 cables, it has an AODE. If it has 3, you have an AOD. The AOD cable attaches to the throttle lever with a bushing, and its fairly common for it to crumble and fail. When that happens it burns the transmission up. If you have the AOD, replace the bushing with the brass or steel one ASAP. If the cable is already off, chances are more than fair that the trans is damaged. Frankly I don't think I'd buy one with a roasted trans unless the car was in amazing condition and the price was very good.

Panther-specific rot spot, look on the passenger side under the A pillar where the frame rail bends inward from being under the door sill to where it goes under the engine. On the angle they rot, and its most visible on the side facing the center of the car. The AC drips there. If its not too bad it can be fixed but there has to be more metal than hope holding it together.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
    X