refinishing badges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

refinishing badges?

I'd like to refinish some of the badges on the Continental. Its the same style used on most of the 80s models, a large chrome plated blob of metal with the letters raised and the recessed background painted black. The black is gone so I just have the chrome blob with no contrast. Anyone ever re-black one of these? Thinking the way might be to clean them, shoot the whole thing in trim black and then go over the raised part with paper while its still wet to remove the paint on the lettering.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I havent redone anything like you mentioned but Id clean them up really well, apply adhesion promoter and then your trim black paint. You can lay them on paper..I have used strips of tape before for similar treatments (engine plaques) for removing the raised paint. I think a good option in your case would be to wrap a firm block with a lint free towel and get it wet (not dripping) with some thinner and then gently wipe it over the emblem. Should turn out nicely. The thinner shouldn't hurt the chrome.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

X2 on the paint the whole thing then thinner rag the parts you don’t want painted.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Badges? We don't need no badges.....

Comment

Testors model paint works great. Plus you can mix to create specific shades if there is no off the shelf match, or mix flat and glosses to get a suitable satin. (Assuming that Testors is still the same stuff from the 80's).

Alex.

Comment

Working...
          X