Bumps cause everything to go insane. 1986 vic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumps cause everything to go insane. 1986 vic

Hey guys. I'm 99% percent sure this is the battery ground, but just making sure its not something more.

when the car goes over a bump the radio and my digital gauges start freaking out. I watch the volts drop from 13-14 to like 4 and then everything goes crazy. the radio turns off the speedo and the tach start turning into a light show and the engine will bog down.

The thing that worries me is the car was sitting and I chased a family of mice out of my damn car. I'm a bit paranoid the little fucks chewed on something under my dash...

Also I heard one of the relays under the dash click rapidly if I slam the door on the car.. which also seemed to reset the electrical issues.

So am I being a dumbass and its the battery ground?

Hi I would start by disconnecting the battery cables making sure they are in good shape and clean, then I would look over the entire engine bay for signs of mice droppings and look for chewed up wires while the battery is still disconnected to avoid shorting anything out. Something obvious is bound to jump out at you a mouse, a chewed wire loom or just bad connections either way first things first disconnect that battery and start inspecting.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

I think the terminals might be worn down. I mean they're as tight as they can get and it still seemed like I could pull of the ground with a half assed amount of force. So maybe they just need to be replaced. I've seen some brass ones for like 3 dollars a pop, I think brass would hold up better in the long run.. however the other ones lasted since 1986 so wtf do I know?

Comment

Check the body ground and the -battery cable it is a double ground and that can go bad.

Comment

Originally posted by DrHax View Post
          I think the terminals might be worn down. I mean they're as tight as they can get and it still seemed like I could pull of the ground with a half assed amount of force. So maybe they just need to be replaced. I've seen some brass ones for like 3 dollars a pop, I think brass would hold up better in the long run.. however the other ones lasted since 1986 so wtf do I know?
          When the terminals are installed on the battery are they seated all the way down on the post? if not you may have to loosen the terminals spread them apart then reinstall them.
          But if in doubt replace them with quality parts. and yes by all means check for bad connections and chewed up wires with the battery disconnected for safety.
          2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Originally posted by DrHax View Post
            Inspect the cable end. It may be cracked on the bottom side. I had one fail that way and had to replace the cable end.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That sounds like to me that the battery is jumping around and shorting out on the hood. Do you have a good hold down on that battery?

Comment

Ever replace the ignition switch? Those can do stupid things too.

If everything seems right, maybe start shaking wiring around to see if you can duplicate the problem.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X