Got a list of things I need help with.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a list of things I need help with.

Theres 3 problems with my 86 vic after the engine swap.

I did a partial HO swap with a 94 f150 engine after the first motor bent something.

Now theres a really annoying belt squeal on start up that disappears around 900 rpm and vanishes until you turn the wheel. not 100% what's causing it? Is the belt on too tight?

There's a knocking sound from the puleys. it's not the internals of the engine as its coming from the direct front of the car sounds almost like the radiator. Would this be the harmonic balancer? I know i ended up putting on the 1986 one onto this engine. So I'm wondering if its worn out, or is it something to do with the 1986 part on a 1994 engine? I don't know This was my first time ever doing anything with a v8 or anything ford so I'm expecting I oversighted a few things.

Oh and last but not least the AOD has troubles engaging when the car starts up. I have to rev it up a bit before it 'slips' Into gear. I'm no expert on automatic transmissions, and I know if things aren't 100% with these you can cause a lot of damage.

THere are my 3 pressing questions regarding this car. I need some advice from those a hell of a lot more knowledgeable than I am.

Suggestions in Blue

Originally posted by DrHax View Post
    Theres 3 problems with my 86 vic after the engine swap.

I did a partial HO swap with a 94 f150 engine after the first motor bent something.

Now theres a really annoying belt squeal on start up that disappears around 900 rpm and vanishes until you turn the wheel. not 100% what's causing it? Is the belt on too tight?

Loose Id imagine. Can spray some water on belt and see if it goes away temporarily. Belt dressings do exits, though I have never tried it. May just be a cruddy dried out belt

There's a knocking sound from the puleys. it's not the internals of the engine as its coming from the direct front of the car sounds almost like the radiator. Would this be the harmonic balancer? I know i ended up putting on the 1986 one onto this engine. So I'm wondering if its worn out, or is it something to do with the 1986 part on a 1994 engine? I don't know This was my first time ever doing anything with a v8 or anything ford so I'm expecting I oversighted a few things.

Take one belt off at a time and start the car up (you will be fine doing this for a short period of time) and listen what you get. You can eliminate a lot of pulleys in question by doing this

Oh and last but not least the AOD has troubles engaging when the car starts up. I have to rev it up a bit before it 'slips' Into gear. I'm no expert on automatic transmissions, and I know if things aren't 100% with these you can cause a lot of damage.

Have you checked your fluid level. Do so while vehicle is running and at operating temperature. Sounds low to me. Also smell it and check color. Ideally it should be nice a pinkish red.

THere are my 3 pressing questions regarding this car. I need some advice from those a hell of a lot more knowledgeable than I am.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

PS pumps can get sloppy and cause knocking noises too. When the pump gets loose inside the shaft will move in and out more than it should, and it will knock when it hits the end of it's travel. This may also go along with a fluid leak, which will make things squeal.

The belts on these usually need to be very tight to not make noise.

If the balancer is messed up you will usually see the outer ring wobble relative to the inner part. Have a look down at it while the engine is running, if its messed up you'll see it. Inspect the rubber too, if its cracked and pushed out between the parts, replace the balancer. Its the same one from about 1983 onward. No worries about the engine being a 94.

With the trans, has it ever been serviced? There is a small gasket that sits on top of the filter. If the gasket is missing it will tend to act stupid like this. Low fluid does the same thing and for the same reason.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have noticed the bottom pulley does wobble, and I doubt the transmission has been serviced. The original engine had its factory nylon coated timing chain in it. I did purchase a new transmission filter awhile back getting to it wasn't exactly an option at the time. The powersteering pump is brand new, and was replaced a bit ago because the original one was going on me and leaking fluid profusely.

Comment

Oh but the fluid was always nice looking and fine, never smelt funny or was burnt.

Comment

still have a smog pump? they sometimes produce a death rattle near the end of life.

if nothing obvious, take one belt off at a time and see which side is making the noise. Make sure all the mounting bolts are tight and give everything the spin test to see if you can feel any issues.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

On the transmission - check the dipstick after it sits (don’t start it). If it’s absurdly high on the stick, the torque converter is partially draining back into the transmission.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by DrHax View Post
                Oh but the fluid was always nice looking and fine, never smelt funny or was burnt.
                I suppose that's a good sign that it would be worth servicing. The problem will be more noticeable as winter sets in and the outside temperature drops.
                One of mine does the same thing and it was worse the year before last, then I put new fluid and filter in and it was noticeably better. Your experience may vary. In my case I know where every mile (around 150k in 3 different cars) on the trans came from, and I knew that it was possibly a little overdue (not more 10k miles overdue, which isn't much considering many people never have their trans serviced).

+1 on considering the things everyone else has said on the trans.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                  On the transmission - check the dipstick after it sits (don’t start it). If it’s absurdly high on the stick, the torque converter is partially draining back into the transmission.
                  Got one that does that too, although oddly only in reverse when hot. I've been meaning to suck some of the fluid out (I've had to do it before after overfilling).
                  For some reason when I changed fluid and filter on this one (and put the same amount of fluid in as I did the previous one) it ended up being over full. The same amount over full as before I changed the fluid, which makes me wonder if the shop the PO had the trans rebuilt at put a torque converter or something in that doesn't hold as much fluid. This is just my experience with one transmission, so may or may not be helpful.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Get another Transmission it is on it's way out. Dr.Hax.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        still have a smog pump? they sometimes produce a death rattle near the end of life.

if nothing obvious, take one belt off at a time and see which side is making the noise. Make sure all the mounting bolts are tight and give everything the spin test to see if you can feel any issues.
                        Definitely check this. The one on my first '90 sounded like a bunch of monkeys fighting over a barrel of marbles.

Comment

smog pump was the first thing to get ripped off in the engine transplant... as well as the broken AC compressor... really wish it had AC but i'd settle for it not screeching and driving. If the transmission is dying than I'm fucked.

Comment

Worry about the transmission when it stops working. Sometimes they develop morning sickness, its not the end of the world. Change the fluid and carry on.

Comment

Okay tightening the belt got rid of the squeal. Pretty sure the harmonic balancer is bad. I went under the dash cleaned up under there and took inventory. I got everything working, but there’s still a few issues

Comment

Working...
                              X