PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a list of things I need help with.

Eek Got a list of things I need help with.

Theres 3 problems with my 86 vic after the engine swap.

I did a partial HO swap with a 94 f150 engine after the first motor bent something.

Now theres a really annoying belt squeal on start up that disappears around 900 rpm and vanishes until you turn the wheel. not 100% what's causing it? Is the belt on too tight?

There's a knocking sound from the puleys. it's not the internals of the engine as its coming from the direct front of the car sounds almost like the radiator. Would this be the harmonic balancer? I know i ended up putting on the 1986 one onto this engine. So I'm wondering if its worn out, or is it something to do with the 1986 part on a 1994 engine? I don't know This was my first time ever doing anything with a v8 or anything ford so I'm expecting I oversighted a few things.

Oh and last but not least the AOD has troubles engaging when the car starts up. I have to rev it up a bit before it 'slips' Into gear. I'm no expert on automatic transmissions, and I know if things aren't 100% with these you can cause a lot of damage.

THere are my 3 pressing questions regarding this car. I need some advice from those a hell of a lot more knowledgeable than I am.

Suggestions in Blue

Quote Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
    Theres 3 problems with my 86 vic after the engine swap.

I did a partial HO swap with a 94 f150 engine after the first motor bent something.

Now theres a really annoying belt squeal on start up that disappears around 900 rpm and vanishes until you turn the wheel. not 100% what's causing it? Is the belt on too tight?

Loose Id imagine. Can spray some water on belt and see if it goes away temporarily. Belt dressings do exits, though I have never tried it. May just be a cruddy dried out belt

There's a knocking sound from the puleys. it's not the internals of the engine as its coming from the direct front of the car sounds almost like the radiator. Would this be the harmonic balancer? I know i ended up putting on the 1986 one onto this engine. So I'm wondering if its worn out, or is it something to do with the 1986 part on a 1994 engine? I don't know This was my first time ever doing anything with a v8 or anything ford so I'm expecting I oversighted a few things.

Take one belt off at a time and start the car up (you will be fine doing this for a short period of time) and listen what you get. You can eliminate a lot of pulleys in question by doing this

Oh and last but not least the AOD has troubles engaging when the car starts up. I have to rev it up a bit before it 'slips' Into gear. I'm no expert on automatic transmissions, and I know if things aren't 100% with these you can cause a lot of damage.

Have you checked your fluid level. Do so while vehicle is running and at operating temperature. Sounds low to me. Also smell it and check color. Ideally it should be nice a pinkish red.

THere are my 3 pressing questions regarding this car. I need some advice from those a hell of a lot more knowledgeable than I am.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

PS pumps can get sloppy and cause knocking noises too. When the pump gets loose inside the shaft will move in and out more than it should, and it will knock when it hits the end of it's travel. This may also go along with a fluid leak, which will make things squeal.

The belts on these usually need to be very tight to not make noise.

If the balancer is messed up you will usually see the outer ring wobble relative to the inner part. Have a look down at it while the engine is running, if its messed up you'll see it. Inspect the rubber too, if its cracked and pushed out between the parts, replace the balancer. Its the same one from about 1983 onward. No worries about the engine being a 94.

With the trans, has it ever been serviced? There is a small gasket that sits on top of the filter. If the gasket is missing it will tend to act stupid like this. Low fluid does the same thing and for the same reason.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I have noticed the bottom pulley does wobble, and I doubt the transmission has been serviced. The original engine had its factory nylon coated timing chain in it. I did purchase a new transmission filter awhile back getting to it wasn't exactly an option at the time. The powersteering pump is brand new, and was replaced a bit ago because the original one was going on me and leaking fluid profusely.

Oh but the fluid was always nice looking and fine, never smelt funny or was burnt.

still have a smog pump? they sometimes produce a death rattle near the end of life.

if nothing obvious, take one belt off at a time and see which side is making the noise. Make sure all the mounting bolts are tight and give everything the spin test to see if you can feel any issues.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

On the transmission - check the dipstick after it sits (don’t start it). If it’s absurdly high on the stick, the torque converter is partially draining back into the transmission.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
    Oh but the fluid was always nice looking and fine, never smelt funny or was burnt.
    I suppose that's a good sign that it would be worth servicing. The problem will be more noticeable as winter sets in and the outside temperature drops.
    One of mine does the same thing and it was worse the year before last, then I put new fluid and filter in and it was noticeably better. Your experience may vary. In my case I know where every mile (around 150k in 3 different cars) on the trans came from, and I knew that it was possibly a little overdue (not more 10k miles overdue, which isn't much considering many people never have their trans serviced).

+1 on considering the things everyone else has said on the trans.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - I'll fix it eventually
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    On the transmission - check the dipstick after it sits (don’t start it). If it’s absurdly high on the stick, the torque converter is partially draining back into the transmission.
    Got one that does that too, although oddly only in reverse when hot. I've been meaning to suck some of the fluid out (I've had to do it before after overfilling).
    For some reason when I changed fluid and filter on this one (and put the same amount of fluid in as I did the previous one) it ended up being over full. The same amount over full as before I changed the fluid, which makes me wonder if the shop the PO had the trans rebuilt at put a torque converter or something in that doesn't hold as much fluid. This is just my experience with one transmission, so may or may not be helpful.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - I'll fix it eventually
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

I post a lot...

Get another Transmission it is on it's way out. Dr.Hax.

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    still have a smog pump? they sometimes produce a death rattle near the end of life.

if nothing obvious, take one belt off at a time and see which side is making the noise. Make sure all the mounting bolts are tight and give everything the spin test to see if you can feel any issues.
    Definitely check this. The one on my first '90 sounded like a bunch of monkeys fighting over a barrel of marbles.

smog pump was the first thing to get ripped off in the engine transplant... as well as the broken AC compressor... really wish it had AC but i'd settle for it not screeching and driving. If the transmission is dying than I'm fucked.

Worry about the transmission when it stops working. Sometimes they develop morning sickness, its not the end of the world. Change the fluid and carry on.

Okay tightening the belt got rid of the squeal. Pretty sure the harmonic balancer is bad. I went under the dash cleaned up under there and took inventory. I got everything working, but thereís still a few issues

And it broke down.... in a parking lot. My speedo went out (wire got disconnected) so I parked it to fix it. Turned it off because messing with wires while the car is running isn't great. had it on accessory i bumped my head against the underside of the dash and the radio turned off, and now the car won't start.

starter makes a whirring buzzer like sound of spinning...

At this point I feel I might just have it towed to a local mechanic and bite the bullet, also theres a puddle of gas under the car by the drivers rear tire and I can see gas covering the frame...

This is starting to get concerning.. oh yeah and I had transmission fluid leaking.

Can this day get any better?!

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

Probably bad filler hose causing fuel leak. Put more trans fluid in while it's running and see if tranny works better. Bang on the starter with a hammer and try again. As for the under-dash crap, good luck. The joys of owning old cars buddy!

Got the car home via a friend. Pulled out the transmission stick and itís a like a candy apple maroon colour. I think replacing the fluid and filter is a must.

I really wish I had a lift

Hey, it's not black! But did it taste like apples?? /s
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

It didn't look appetizing and life isn't so difficult to make me start licking ATF lolipops. I think the transmission needs to be flushed out and a new filter put in it. There's a lot of floating particles in it, but it looks like dirt and other crap.

I got a remanufactured starter for 70$, I was surprised to find it out it was a ford one that got rebuilt. But today was a busy and taxing day. Oh yeah, and the car killed my radio. Kinda annoyed by that, I like that head unit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast