No announcement yet.

Got a list of things I need help with.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And it broke down.... in a parking lot. My speedo went out (wire got disconnected) so I parked it to fix it. Turned it off because messing with wires while the car is running isn't great. had it on accessory i bumped my head against the underside of the dash and the radio turned off, and now the car won't start.

starter makes a whirring buzzer like sound of spinning...

At this point I feel I might just have it towed to a local mechanic and bite the bullet, also theres a puddle of gas under the car by the drivers rear tire and I can see gas covering the frame...

This is starting to get concerning.. oh yeah and I had transmission fluid leaking.

Can this day get any better?!

Comment

Probably bad filler hose causing fuel leak. Put more trans fluid in while it's running and see if tranny works better. Bang on the starter with a hammer and try again. As for the under-dash crap, good luck. The joys of owning old cars buddy!

Comment

Got the car home via a friend. Pulled out the transmission stick and it’s a like a candy apple maroon colour. I think replacing the fluid and filter is a must.

I really wish I had a lift

Comment

Hey, it's not black! But did it taste like apples?? /s
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

It didn't look appetizing and life isn't so difficult to make me start licking ATF lolipops. I think the transmission needs to be flushed out and a new filter put in it. There's a lot of floating particles in it, but it looks like dirt and other crap.

I got a remanufactured starter for 70$, I was surprised to find it out it was a ford one that got rebuilt. But today was a busy and taxing day. Oh yeah, and the car killed my radio. Kinda annoyed by that, I like that head unit.

Comment

reman ones are usually OEM castings.

Floating particles are not a good sign. That will be clutch material.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

put in a new starter and the car won't turn over. Its just going WHIRRR a bit more quietly however. So I am wondering did I just have really shitty luck and get a bad new starter or is there some other part that could be affecting this?

Comment

How did the ring gear look on the flex plate? Try turning over the engine a bit by hand or by tool on the balancer and then try the starter again. If there is a bad spot on the ring gear, it’s possible there is only one spot bad.

Although reman starters are hit and miss...
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

yeah, if turning it some by hand doesn't get a good spot, I'll go with junk starter. Anymore I test them before installing. No fun putting in a difficult to remove part and finding its a dud.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

flexplate looked fine. I did take a peak at that while i had the starter dropped out. I bought some swivel socket extensions to make jobs like these a lot less tedious. I'm going to take a look at the solenoid on this remanufactured starter. I have a sneaking suspicion a wire got knocked loose.

Somewhere I have the starter that came with the engine i dropped in. I'm also looking at transmissions because i think this one might be roached. Anything I should know about sourcing these transmissions.

Comment

How "good" are you wires running to the starter? Do a drop test and see if the thing is actually getting the voltage it needs to do productive spinny action and that the wire can actually carry current. A lot of times corrosion sets in and makes things stupid.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

That’s a thing was I wondering could the solenoid that’s mounted on the fender be going out?

Comment

Possible, but if its a newer style starter the relay on the fender carries very little current. It only actually pulls the solenoid on the starter. Assuming its a new style and its wired right anyway. The fat wire on a modern starter goes to the battery side of the relay. The smaller wire goes to the otherwise empty side of the relay. The old fat body starter with only one cable goes to the empty side of the relay. Usually when the relays die they stick on but its not impossible for them to get stupid and drop too much voltage.

Comment

I have a single wire starter. It’s a remanfactured one, I noticed the casting had a 86 on it, where as the single wire one I pulled from the Vic had a 85.

So I’m assuming the starter is original to the car. Do these old style single wire starters have solenoids or do that rely heavily on that fender mounted one?

Comment

Originally posted by DrHax View Post
                                I have a single wire starter... rely heavily on that fender mounted one?
                                Bingo
                                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                                X