PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got a list of things I need help with.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

reman ones are usually OEM castings.

Floating particles are not a good sign. That will be clutch material.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

put in a new starter and the car won't turn over. Its just going WHIRRR a bit more quietly however. So I am wondering did I just have really shitty luck and get a bad new starter or is there some other part that could be affecting this?

How did the ring gear look on the flex plate? Try turning over the engine a bit by hand or by tool on the balancer and then try the starter again. If there is a bad spot on the ring gear, it’s possible there is only one spot bad.

Although reman starters are hit and miss...
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

yeah, if turning it some by hand doesn't get a good spot, I'll go with junk starter. Anymore I test them before installing. No fun putting in a difficult to remove part and finding its a dud.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

flexplate looked fine. I did take a peak at that while i had the starter dropped out. I bought some swivel socket extensions to make jobs like these a lot less tedious. I'm going to take a look at the solenoid on this remanufactured starter. I have a sneaking suspicion a wire got knocked loose.

Somewhere I have the starter that came with the engine i dropped in. I'm also looking at transmissions because i think this one might be roached. Anything I should know about sourcing these transmissions.

How "good" are you wires running to the starter? Do a drop test and see if the thing is actually getting the voltage it needs to do productive spinny action and that the wire can actually carry current. A lot of times corrosion sets in and makes things stupid.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Thatís a thing was I wondering could the solenoid thatís mounted on the fender be going out?

Possible, but if its a newer style starter the relay on the fender carries very little current. It only actually pulls the solenoid on the starter. Assuming its a new style and its wired right anyway. The fat wire on a modern starter goes to the battery side of the relay. The smaller wire goes to the otherwise empty side of the relay. The old fat body starter with only one cable goes to the empty side of the relay. Usually when the relays die they stick on but its not impossible for them to get stupid and drop too much voltage.

I have a single wire starter. Itís a remanfactured one, I noticed the casting had a 86 on it, where as the single wire one I pulled from the Vic had a 85.

So Iím assuming the starter is original to the car. Do these old style single wire starters have solenoids or do that rely heavily on that fender mounted one?

Quote Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
    I have a single wire starter... rely heavily on that fender mounted one?
    Bingo
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Would a way to test if the solenoid is dropping voltage be to run a screwdriver against the terminals ghetto style to bypass the solenoid all together?

No, like gadget said those relays tend to work or not work at all. They can fail in the "permanently working" mode which kinda solders the two posts together and the magnet/spring thingy inside can't break the connection so the starter ends up getting juice even when you don't want it to. Anyway, If you don't want to do a voltage drop test, just replace the battery cables from the battery to the starter solenoid and then from the solenoid to the starter itself and then the ground from the engine to the battery & see what that does. With GM, batter cable corrosion is a big deal, at least with their trucks. I can see the end of my positive battery cable terminal swelling from corrosion. Lazy me will try to put off replacing it in the spring but wouldn't be surprised if it can't supply enough pixies on the 1 or 3 random days when it's -2F outside.

EDIT: Also, if you have those ultra shitty $2 battery post things from Autozone that clamp down on the battery cable, make them fuck off. Those are absolute garbage and any car we acquire that has them, that's the first repair we make. Ends should be soldered on like the factory units were, helps stave off corrosion & ensures better flow of the pixies.
    Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 11-06-2018 at 07:43 AM.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Whatís the length of the switch to starter cable I should be looking for?

Looks like it's STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS A514L (I also see it listed elsewhere as A51-4L), I don't know the length.
    , on Flickr
    SLICKTOP '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, police swaybar, S&S headrests. 2002 GM LS, & '90 F-150 XLT. 1962 project Heep.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12