Town Car reduntant controls into a Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Town Car reduntant controls into a Grand Marquis

So in this thread gonna documenting putting redundant controls from a second generation Town Car into my 97 Marquis.

95-97 Town Car Signature or higher have redundant controls standard. Later CV/GM got redundant controls on 01. How the later ones operate is different. 98+ Town Car have CANBUS so they work a little different as well, not sure if the later CV/GM use the same protocols for the redundant controls but in any event the earlier redundant controls aren't compatible with later and vice versa. Like you can't take buttons from a later redundant control steering wheel and use then in a 95-97. You can use the wheel however and maybe the EATC.

So in a 95-97 Town Car the redundant controls work by having controls on the 2 spoke steering wheel and a redundant control module. It can control the audio/eatc.

Parts acquired so far:

Painted them with SEM Color Coat:

Right now trying to decipher the poorly documented clockspring wiring for a grand marquis compared to a town car. The FSM doesn't have connector pinouts. So gotta figure what color the speed control wires are compared to the TC and where to get power for the redundant control module.
    1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
    2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

The Grand Marquis and Crown Vic utilize an additional wire to the EATC and the radio, to receive input from the steering wheel. To my knowledge, they do not use a module. A brown/light blue wire goes to pin 8 of the black connector of the eatc from the clock spring. And a Light blue/red wire goes to pin 14 of radio's cd changer harness from the clock spring. Also, if the radio is capable of doing it, adding a wire to pin 9 of the cd changer harness on the back of the radio to the VSS will give you speed sensitive steering.

EDIT***

According to my diagrams, they do not use a module.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post

According to my diagrams, they do not use a module.
      Originally equipped CV/GMQ don’t use a module, but that should apply to the ‘98+ cars. ‘97- CV/GMQ didn’t ever offer a multifunction steering wheel, but ‘95-‘97 TC did, however those utilized a module under the dash near the wiper control module to run all the functions.

I’ve did this swap in my ‘97 a while back and got everything fully functional. I utilized Aero TC stuff through out.

FWIW, I used the clock’s constant 12v to power the module since it is reasonably close to where I installed it.
      Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 11-01-2018, 01:57 PM.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Getting closer. Swapped connectors to the Continental airbag because that one came out better. But not I gotta figure out where to tie the marq speed control to the town cars clock spring.

Given that I'm running a bypass harness does the redun module really need to be wired to the RCU for pin 1? Did you use the clock power for both pin 9 & 10?

- Richard

Comment

I swapped the the clock spring connectors where they connect under the dash. The air bag connector is the same down there, so just plug it in. I cut the old clock spring connector off vehicle side and spliced in the Town Car one.

As far as not hooking up pin 1, I can't recall if that'll do anything wacky. I do recall that the multi-function controls didn't work unless the lights were on until I installed that JBL connector between the radio and the kick panel, but YMMV.

For some reason, I have pin 9 ran to the clock for the hot (simply because it was nearby), but pin 10 was listed as "to clockspring".

My Cars:
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
            For some reason, I have pin 9 ran to the clock for the hot (simply because it was nearby), but pin 10 was listed as "to clockspring".
            Ya on everything I have its listed on all as power for those 2 pins.

Plan on just hooking up the power, EATC, illumination and A&B Protocol. [s]I dont see anything that goes back for the second power wire to the clock spring[/s]. Don't know what pin 14 is about with LCD either.

Edit: I see where that power wire goes. Back to the buttons on the steering wheel.
            Last edited by Pvt.Hudson; 11-14-2018, 06:21 PM.

- Richard

Comment

So it begins.

Can I adapt the TC harness to the marquis to simplify things?

chipdog on cvn did this:

but so it seems whale harnesses differ slightly to a aero's.

- Richard

Comment

Whales that came with redundant controls hooked directly into the EATC and radio, IIRC. The Aeros were different since CV/GMQ never used them and only TC did, but TC used the redundant control module. Apparently the switches are different too circuitry wise, despite looking the same on the outside.

My Cars:

Comment

Well got the column out. That was fun! Also ruined my column tilt lever gotta get another that isn't chewed up.

- Richard

Comment

F U N !

Had to unbolt the shift lever arm cause no way was it popping off of the grommet on the bracket tucked under the dash.

- Richard

Comment

Ok so I think I can do what chipdog did and have extra wires left over. The difference between a whale TC/aero is the pinouts. Connector is the same but different locations are used.

So if I'm correct in ID'd these from the left it goes: Power, Horn, Speed Control, Key Chime, Signal for Redundant mod & Ground

- Richard

Comment

Wired up the Marq clockspring connector to the TC one:

So there's a connector on the TC column that isn't on a CV/GM:

Its the connector in the ignition cylinder opposite of the key chime sensor. Its also present on the Whale TC clock spring I took for spare wiring. The Marq column obviously has the cutout for it but it is not present. Might be for the anti theft system that I think is standard on Town Cars.

- Richard

Comment

Nice write up. I wish they made a 4 spoke wheel with radio controls on it. I wanted to do this on mine but can't stand that style 2 spoke wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                            Nice write up. I wish they made a 4 spoke wheel with radio controls on it. I wanted to do this on mine but can't stand that style 2 spoke wheel.
                            I have a CTS V wheel I wish I could put in the marq but obviously everything is different and the steering shaft on a modern GM is splined vs Panthers angled rectangle shaft.

- Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                              FWIW I love my brick-airbag steering wheels. Preferred those horn buttons and big cruise switches, but I really do like the multi-function on the blob wheels and the wood trimmed wheels feel nice. If I could have all that on those, I'd switch back in a heartbeat.

My Cars:

Comment

Working...
                              X