PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Town Car reduntant controls into a Grand Marquis

Column is back in. Not fun especially when the steering shaft collapses towards the firewall making you think the column is too short.
    1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP

- Richard

All hooked up.

The EATC buttons work. But my horn doesn't. The horn is somehow now tied into the off switch on the cruise control.

- Richard

EATC buttons only work when lights are on.

Can't get the radio controls to do anything. And I'm at a loss as to why the horn is now on the off button on the cruise control unless its something to do with the redundant module.

I have the 16 pin harness but don't see a reason why it has to be connected when I'm running a bypass harness.

- Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt.Hudson View Post
    All hooked up.

The EATC buttons work. But my horn doesn't. The horn is somehow now tied into the off switch on the cruise control.
    I managed to wire my horn to the key-in-ignition wire. Didn't go off or anything, but I was wondering why I had no horn control. Make sure you're not on the wrong wire there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt.Hudson View Post
    EATC buttons only work when lights are on.

Can't get the radio controls to do anything. And I'm at a loss as to why the horn is now on the off button on the cruise control unless its something to do with the redundant module.

I have the 16 pin harness but don't see a reason why it has to be connected when I'm running a bypass harness.
    EATC with lights on only was an issue with mine before I installed the multi-function compatible harness from the radio. For whatever reason, with the radio being in place, everything worked as it should. Without out it, it only worked the way you described.

As far as your controller for your radio, I couldn't tell you there since I'm running factory-esque stuff.

No horn operations go through the redundant module.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

This is the harness I made. The three wires that are loose are the signal wire, return and power for the redundant module.

The one that has a splice is the speed control.

edit:
    I notice that the continental airbag the connector for the horn the wires are the same color whereas the TC air bag the colors are different. Assuming that top small connector is for the horn.
    Last edited by Pvt.Hudson; 01-30-2019 at 11:24 PM.

- Richard

Progess!

EATC butans now works with lights on or off!

So I know why you had those issues Kodachrome. Pin 12 on the redundant module needs to be tied to switched 12v power.

Now to unfuck the horn situation.

So I think I gotta tie in the swi-rc to the pin 4 and I should have the radio controls working:

- Richard

So pin 4 tied into the SWI-RC does work although button pressing really delayed like almost a second goes by before the SWI-RC does anything. Might just hook that wire to the android hu and see if that makes any difference and not bother with the aftermarket steering wheel adapter.

- Richard

Horn is fixed. Had the wiring in the wrong location.

If your doing a swap like this on a aero cv/gm this is what it needs to look like going to the Marq 4 pin connector:

I'll have to address the audio stuff later as I'm not liking how the SWI-RC interprets commands from the steering wheel they are delayed by like almost a second and are very finicky. Connecting the HU directly works faster but its even more finicky. I think the resistance values used are to low for HU.

Big thanks to Kodachrome for his help. Now there is a another 97 Marq running around with redundant controls.

So what you need for this to do in a Aero:

Multi function wheel 1995-2002 (after 98 you can only use wheel)
    1996-1997 button pods (95 is 95 only. Connector on the pods is different then 96/97 you could use the wheel from the 95)
    A Redundant control module
    Spare wiring and patience
    Wiring diagrams

I believe Whales are actually easier to do this on. Just get a TC clockspring and swap it and run the extra wires to radio/eatc. Though you will need a 01/02 EATC if have a 98-00 as those EATC don't support steering controls. Aero EATC's do whether it be CV/GM/TC.

Given that I've seen whale air bags in aeros I think I might try finding a blue on from a 98 or 99 and swap it to see if works. I suspect it will. Just have to swap connectors.

- Richard

Forgot to add you need a multi function clockspring as well if you swapping from a cruise only wheel, 1995-1997 TC clockspring for aero, 98-02 TC for whales (in 01 CV/GM could be had with multi function steering wheel). After that not sure and even later ones 05+ you just need to add buttons and a wire harness for the buttons, probably best to find a 05+ TC and use that.

Last edited by Pvt.Hudson; 02-01-2019 at 12:43 AM.

- Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12