No announcement yet.

Town Car reduntant controls into a Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm just going to run the 2 power feeds, 2 EATC feeds, the ground, pin 12 audio (for the PAC SWI-RC steeing wheel control adapter) and tie in to illumination either at the clock or the eatc connector and see if that runs. If I gotta run pin 1 all the way to the back to the RCU I can do that but I really don't see a reason to considering I'm running a by pass harness and as far as the RCU is concerned its not being used.

Think that will work Kodachrome?
    Last edited by Pvt.Hudson; 01-29-2019, 10:53 PM.
    1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
    2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

For the redundant controls, nothing goes all the back to the RCU, just a sub harness that essentially runs between the factory radio and where the rest of the harness runs to the back of the car. Since you're using the steering wheel control adapter, you might be in the clear here.

Figure we'll know if something doesn't wind up working once things are in place.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Ya that's my thoughts. My only concerns are the A&B protocol (pin 4 & 13) but according to PAC the adapter only needs the feed coming out of Pin 12 (Audio).

Wires for the Black&Gray EATC connectors are connected and I positapped the illumination feed. Right now I gotta find out which wire on clock is power. Think its White. Slowly getting there.

- Richard

Comment

Not quite done and I gotta trim some wiring and recheck it. Going to bed.

So I'll be back on this tomorrow considering I ain't going anywhere until the column is back in.

- Richard

Comment

Almost done. Hopefully it works.

Had a snafu with the steering column not going in and had some difficulties trying to find similar color wiring for the 3 wires that go from the column to the redundant module. Luckily I have almost 3 feet of wiring harness I took from a Jeep Liberty that I thought would be useful in the future.

- Richard

Comment

Column is back in. Not fun especially when the steering shaft collapses towards the firewall making you think the column is too short.

- Richard

Comment

All hooked up.

The EATC buttons work. But my horn doesn't. The horn is somehow now tied into the off switch on the cruise control.

- Richard

Comment

EATC buttons only work when lights are on.

Can't get the radio controls to do anything. And I'm at a loss as to why the horn is now on the off button on the cruise control unless its something to do with the redundant module.

I have the 16 pin harness but don't see a reason why it has to be connected when I'm running a bypass harness.

- Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt.Hudson View Post
                    All hooked up.

The EATC buttons work. But my horn doesn't. The horn is somehow now tied into the off switch on the cruise control.
                    I managed to wire my horn to the key-in-ignition wire. Didn't go off or anything, but I was wondering why I had no horn control. Make sure you're not on the wrong wire there.

Originally posted by Pvt.Hudson View Post
                    EATC buttons only work when lights are on.

Can't get the radio controls to do anything. And I'm at a loss as to why the horn is now on the off button on the cruise control unless its something to do with the redundant module.

I have the 16 pin harness but don't see a reason why it has to be connected when I'm running a bypass harness.
                    EATC with lights on only was an issue with mine before I installed the multi-function compatible harness from the radio. For whatever reason, with the radio being in place, everything worked as it should. Without out it, it only worked the way you described.

As far as your controller for your radio, I couldn't tell you there since I'm running factory-esque stuff.

No horn operations go through the redundant module.

My Cars:
                    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

This is the harness I made. The three wires that are loose are the signal wire, return and power for the redundant module.

The one that has a splice is the speed control.

edit:
                      I notice that the continental airbag the connector for the horn the wires are the same color whereas the TC air bag the colors are different. Assuming that top small connector is for the horn.
                      Last edited by Pvt.Hudson; 01-30-2019, 11:24 PM.

- Richard

Comment

Progess!

EATC butans now works with lights on or off!

So I know why you had those issues Kodachrome. Pin 12 on the redundant module needs to be tied to switched 12v power.

Now to unfuck the horn situation.

So I think I gotta tie in the swi-rc to the pin 4 and I should have the radio controls working:

- Richard

Comment

So pin 4 tied into the SWI-RC does work although button pressing really delayed like almost a second goes by before the SWI-RC does anything. Might just hook that wire to the android hu and see if that makes any difference and not bother with the aftermarket steering wheel adapter.

- Richard

Comment

Horn is fixed. Had the wiring in the wrong location.

If your doing a swap like this on a aero cv/gm this is what it needs to look like going to the Marq 4 pin connector:

I'll have to address the audio stuff later as I'm not liking how the SWI-RC interprets commands from the steering wheel they are delayed by like almost a second and are very finicky. Connecting the HU directly works faster but its even more finicky. I think the resistance values used are to low for HU.

Big thanks to Kodachrome for his help. Now there is a another 97 Marq running around with redundant controls.

So what you need for this to do in a Aero:

Multi function wheel 1995-2002 (after 98 you can only use wheel)
                            1996-1997 button pods (95 is 95 only. Connector on the pods is different then 96/97 you could use the wheel from the 95)
                            A Redundant control module
                            Spare wiring and patience
                            Wiring diagrams

I believe Whales are actually easier to do this on. Just get a TC clockspring and swap it and run the extra wires to radio/eatc. Though you will need a 01/02 EATC if have a 98-00 as those EATC don't support steering controls. Aero EATC's do whether it be CV/GM/TC.

Given that I've seen whale air bags in aeros I think I might try finding a blue on from a 98 or 99 and swap it to see if works. I suspect it will. Just have to swap connectors.

- Richard

Comment

Forgot to add you need a multi function clockspring as well if you swapping from a cruise only wheel, 1995-1997 TC clockspring for aero, 98-02 TC for whales (in 01 CV/GM could be had with multi function steering wheel). After that not sure and even later ones 05+ you just need to add buttons and a wire harness for the buttons, probably best to find a 05+ TC and use that.

Last edited by Pvt.Hudson; 02-01-2019, 12:43 AM.

- Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X