AC blow out at Defrost during moderate to hard Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC blow out at Defrost during moderate to hard Acceleration

Hi Guys before I tear my car apart looking for the Vacuum storage canister and checking the vacuum lines back to the firewall does anyone know where the Vacuum storage canister is on a 2007 Ford Crown Victoria?
    I know the problem may also be bad o-rings at the Control panel but I wanted to check the basics first.
    Thanks for any help.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Every panther I've seen has it on the driver inner fender. But I haven't ever taken note of 03+ cars.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

AFAIK, the driver inner fender is where they put the computer for 03+. NFC what they did with the vacuum reservoir.

Edit: Here's something I found for a 2004 Crown Vic:

http://ww2.justanswer.de/uploads/for..._181822_A1.pdf

On the second and third pages, it shows the reservoir as a single branch off the vacuum source, so it would presumably be easy to locate.

Then there's this for a 2009 Crown Vic that seems to show it located on the firewall above the tranny:

https://workshop-manuals.com/ford/cr...ce_and_repair/
      Last edited by IPreferDIY; 11-05-2018, 08:38 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

If all that checks out then it'll likely be the O-rings. I ended up integrating an Explorer control head into the stock unit after multiple attempts of replacing the O-rings. Just couldn't get them to seal right for some reason. Been working fine now for 8+ years.
        These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

I had that happen one time, I shut down my car and waited 15 minutes and after start-up lo and behold cold air comeing out the right vents.

Comment

Thanks guys I am sure the diagram for the 09 looks right, I thought I saw the box yesterday but since I was looking for the old style round ball canister I just skipped over it.
            Today I will inspect it better with my flashlight and mechanics stethoscope.

Comment

Originally posted by FordMan77 View Post
              If all that checks out then it'll likely be the O-rings. I ended up integrating an Explorer control head into the stock unit after multiple attempts of replacing the O-rings. Just couldn't get them to seal right for some reason. Been working fine now for 8+ years.
              When you did the o-rings did you lube them up with Dow 111, or some other o-ring lubricant?
              Also I am curious what year Explorer Control head would work with the 07 Vic?
              I would like to have all my options covered before I took the car apart, I think the center console may have to come out to remove the control head on my car I am not sure because I have not looked that close at it yet.

Comment

Yea, I lubed up the O-rings and after trying to get it to work after the 4th time of taking it apart and messing with it I did some further research and saw the Explorer thing mentioned. Figured I wasted enough time so why not try. I really wanted to just destroy the original unit but its living under my workbench out of sight, lol..

When I get home tonight I'll see if I can dig up the info on it.
                These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

I'd like to see more details on the Explorer option too. I know someone said recently that there's a way to use the older whale solenoid cage in the earlier whale units, so I'm wondering if the Explorer units allow for the same thing.

For earlier whales, you only have to take the trim off to get at the screws, and the unit pulls out. I doubt they would have changed that.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                  mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I just ordered the o-rings for now since I get like 100 of them for just over 2 dollars, The video I watched mentioned the plastic tubes have been know to get hard and brittle and they can crack rendering them useless which may explain why some rebuilds are not as effective as others.

I also inspected the vac lines under the hood and the canister which is mounted on the firewall Thanks for the help guys with locating it.

For now I will plan on rebuilding mine after inspecting the plastic tubes to make sure they are crack-damage free first. I also ordered a mini lighted Otoscope so I can inspect O ring sealing area of the plastic tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                      I'd like to see more details on the Explorer option too. I know someone said recently that there's a way to use the older whale solenoid cage in the earlier whale units, so I'm wondering if the Explorer units allow for the same thing.

For earlier whales, you only have to take the trim off to get at the screws, and the unit pulls out. I doubt they would have changed that.
                      Yeah I double checked mine and I just need to move my Shifter out of the way while removing the trim. The console can stay in place.

Comment

... I know someone said recently that there's a way to use the older whale solenoid cage in the earlier whale units, ...
                        That should have said using the newer in the earlier, which relates to the earlier solenoid cage being too much of a pain to repair than the newer.

Comment

I'd like to see more details on the Explorer option too. I know someone said recently that there's a way to use the newer whale solenoid cage in the earlier whale units, so I'm wondering if the Explorer units allow for the same thing.

All side notes as the OP is working with an '07 so he's already got the newer, easier to service unit.

I have an '03+ Panther ATC vacuum solenoid assembly in the '97 LTC ATC head in my '91 MGM.
                          the solenoid assembly can be swapped as far back as '96 maybe '95. I'm not familiar with the insides of the '93-'94 unit though, so not sure if those can be made to work with the '03+ solenoid assembly.

I think this was the thread you (IPreferDIY) were thinking of: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post818872
                          Details of the modifications required are further down in that thread.
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Well, here's what I have on file. I used a 2000 Explorer heater/ac control XL2H-19C933-AB. I removed the face/chassis off my existing 03 unit and installed the guts from the Explorer. I know I had to wire it up to make it match the OEM one as there were additional wires that needed to be tied in. Trying to find the rest of the info. If I can't, I can pull the dash apart again and remove the EATC unit to show how I have it wired up.

Comment

Originally posted by FordMan77 View Post
                              Well, here's what I have on file. I used a 2000 Explorer heater/ac control XL2H-19C933-AB. I removed the face/chassis off my existing 03 unit and installed the guts from the Explorer. I know I had to wire it up to make it match the OEM one as there were additional wires that needed to be tied in. Trying to find the rest of the info. If I can't, I can pull the dash apart again and remove the EATC unit to show how I have it wired up.
                              Thanks but please do not take your car apart for me, I am pretty sure the plastic in my control head should be fine because my car seems to have been garage kept and has low mileage.

Comment

Working...
                              X