No announcement yet.

AC blow out at Defrost during moderate to hard Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The newer style puts the vacuum reservoir on the a/c evaporator case itself. Not sure if it's seperable.

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
      ... I think this was the thread you (IPreferDIY) were thinking of: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post818872
      Details of the modifications required are further down in that thread.
      Yup, that's the one. I wonder if usage pattern relates to o-ring failure, blend door actuator failure, and/or blend door hinge failure. I leave my EATC at constant settings (vent and occasional A/C in warm/hot weather, floor and occasional defrost in cool/cold weather) rather than rely on the auto function. No issues so far.

Originally posted by EaOutlaw1969 View Post
      Thanks but please do not take your car apart for me, ...
      +1. I can check out the guts of an Explorer one at a U-pull yard whenever the opportunity presents itself.
      Last edited by IPreferDIY; 11-07-2018, 12:56 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Pretty sure it was just tying in the power and ground wires to make it match the old head unit as one of them had an additional pin on the board that the other one didn't.
        These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Well I finally got my o-rings and took my Control head apart. I did find worn o-rings but I also found rust and bad vent filters.
          Here are some pictures if your interested.
          I inspected the plastic tubes and seats and only found a little bit of debris in them which I cleaned out.
          I was able to use my ultrasonic cleaner and emery cloth to clean up the rust and I replaced the filters with some cut down charcoal filter from a air filtration unit.
          It was a pain and took a couple hours for the job but at least I know the system should not suck any of the old vent filter in the system.
          I was not sure if the rust would interfere with the solenoids or not only two of them were rusted up and were hard to remove yet now they are rust free and coated with some WD-40 to slow down any further rust from forming.
          Anyways my AC works great and I should not need to change out my control head for some other unit.
          Thanks for the help with this guys.

BTW the last picture shows the vent filter that had fallen apart, I was not sure if bits of that stuff could get sucked up in the system so I changed them out It just took prying the tabs down with a small screwdriver cleaning up the residual and cut a small piece of replacement filter to fit then bend the tabs back in place.

To pull this job off I had to use a small inspection camera to inspect the tubes and seat area for the spring loaded check valve
          I also used my ultrasonic cleaner but normal cleaning methods would have worked as well
          Attached Files
          Last edited by EaOutlaw1969; 11-11-2018, 11:58 AM.
          2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Working...
          X