PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 87 Crown Vic Ltd

Default My 87 Crown Vic Ltd

Here she is.
    Pretty decent interior, no huge cracks on dash pad. Needs rear bumper and has cracked windshield. Faded paint but very little rust. Noticed a very small oil leak by pan. TV bushing was already done.

Definitely want to freshen her up, come spring time. Don't want to turn the 351W into a tire roaster, but was wondering what I could do. Definitely needs new coil, distributor, and plug wires as they are OE. Has a 2bbl carb in place of venturi.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181107_153520640.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	51245Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181107_153529624.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	51246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181107_153541400.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	51247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181107_153638237.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	51248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181107_153651130.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	51249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181107_153952584_LL.jpg 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	51250Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181107_153736684.jpg 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	51251
    Last edited by Grand1; 11-07-2018 at 06:49 PM.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

2003 Lincoln Towncar , daily driver

I like this ride. Mostly because it reminds me of my old 87 with the same color and top treatment. Of course I didn’t have the 5.8 though...

Any ideas of the last year of the unique 351W Canadian tow package deal?

I’m curious about this package. Does it have a auxiliary trans cooler like the normal tow package cars? Oil cooler like a PI car? Steel or aluminum driveshaft? How many rows in the radiator? Dual exhaust?
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Tree fiddy one! Nice.
    óJohn

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - getting her back in shape (POTM March 2017)
    1995 Mustang Cobra coupe - keeping it simple
    1966 Mustang coupe - soon-to-be project: no longer buried in junk; out of the garage!

All good questions. It has dual exhaust. Will check for everything else....but she is going to semi- covered storage very soon. I need a garage!

The car is titled as a 1991 assembled vehicle...at that time, there a wait 25 yrs to bring a non federal emissions vehicle into the country.
    The owner (2nd owner) told me.
    "The guy at the DMV told me the previous owner must've known somebody important" (got the car Into the USA in '91)
    Last edited by Grand1; 11-07-2018 at 08:38 PM.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Is that a Canadian car with OE 2bbl, or did they get the VV originally but this one was replaced with the 2bbl?

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Gadget, the VV was on first (OE)and then replaced with a 2bbl. The receipts from the previous owner confirm $300.00 carb purchase.
    Last edited by Grand1; 11-07-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar

I remember someone (andyfanshawe maybe) explaining that in their country the vehicles end up titled as the year they were imported (I think).
    It sounds like, to me, that the assembled part was an important key to working around that 25 year wait. Bring it over and claim it was assembled from parts such as the body/chassis and the rest "was bought and assembled in the US" (only a guess though). Maybe he just knew someone that would write a bill of sale for the "purchased" parts.

Anyway, nice score! Maybe those of us in the Detroit area will get to see this car next year, say the end of August when Nick usually comes up to visit?
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - I'll fix it eventually
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

I drove it, she's a good car. Your oil leak might just be the drain plug. I noticed that when I was peeking under the skirt. Don't forget to lube the ball joints and such. Looks good with those black steelies.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Will take a look down there...looks like two drain plugs to me. I will be replacing the gas tank in Spring...just like you saw Derek. Vic, we should all link up early spring and commence a repair/service marathon for all of our rides....think it would be cool to help each other out....that and me sucking up your CV knowledge.

Sounds cool to me. I've still got a couple of fuel level sending units for Derek as well. I've had these things about 3 years now and can't even remember why I originally got them.

Hey, do you have a power passenger seat? I have (two of) everything you need to add it (assuming you have power driver seat already) and I would like to get rid of the one that's taking up space in my apartment. Shipping something as large as the seat rack would cost far more than it's worth so if someone local like you could use it I'll even help install it. Just ask Derek, I installed one of mine in his drive way earlier this year; the same one he helped me pull in the JY. I've done the conversion 5 times (I tend to have low optioned cars, and one weirdly optioned MGM LS).
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

In stone, Vic, can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand1 View Post
    Will take a look down there...looks like two drain plugs to me. I will be replacing the gas tank in Spring...just like you saw Derek. Vic, we should all link up early spring and commence a repair/service marathon for all of our rides....think it would be cool to help each other out....that and me sucking up your CV knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    Sounds cool to me. I've still got a couple of fuel level sending units for Derek as well. I've had these things about 3 years now and can't even remember why I originally got them.

Hey, do you have a power passenger seat? I have (two of) everything you need to add it (assuming you have power driver seat already) and I would like to get rid of the one that's taking up space in my apartment. Shipping something as large as the seat rack would cost far more than it's worth so if someone local like you could use it I'll even help install it. Just ask Derek, I installed one of mine in his drive way earlier this year; the same one he helped me pull in the JY. I've done the conversion 5 times (I tend to have low optioned cars, and one weirdly optioned MGM LS).
    Sounds good to me as well. If you guys want to help (I mean mostly do it ) with that heater core job I'll supply whatever food and beverages you fancy. Ashley makes wicked good desserts as well. Name some and she'll happily whip them up. Signatures include apple pie, pumpkin pie, tiramisu, cheese cake and any type of cookie. There is a reason I'm some 15 or 20 lbs heavier than what I was before we met

Funny you mention the power passenger seat thing Vic, Grand's car doesn't have that but does have the power driver's seat so I was telling him about the swap you do. Thought you said 1989 & earlier required more wiring surgery to make the swap happen?

'90+ you just unplug the single (driver side only) power seat harness and plug in the double harness. (Unless you get a harness with a cheesed end like the last one I did.)
    '89- requires splicing, or what I like to do is make an adapter and plug it into the output that goes to the driver seat and that splits to the passenger seat.
    The rack I have taking up space is out of an '88 or '89 so should be a direct swap for an '87.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

A "cheesed" end. LMAO I haven't heard anyone use that in years.

The bluish green crap in that plug was about the consistency of cheese.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

Yeah yeah, corrosion, but that is an actual expression. Takes me back to high school.

Car started to miss overdrive...after 45 it was like revving in neutral. Maybe an overdrive band or bad/on its way out valve. Pulled over and made sure the linkage was good to go....car shifted into overdrive again. One thing I have read:
    "Keep in mind when installing the Lokar TV cable with a carburetor, or when making your own TV linkage it is possible to push the TV valve in further than the factory cable allowed. If you are using a valve body with some mileage on it there may be enough of a ridge from the original range of travel to cause the TV valve to get stuck" when it travels past the ridge.

Don't have a lokar cable...but wondering about the carb from VV swap.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

If its using the factory cable or rod and the carb has the appropriate connection you should have no issue. Most TV cables are set up to give pretty near to full travel at wide open anyway. The linkages can get crusty though. Might be worth lubing the connection points and moving it around to free things up.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Did I not say prepare for a trans rebuild?

Don't forget, keep it in "D" until you're on the expressway, 55mph+ and it looks open. Accurate Transmissions in Belleville will handle that job for ~$1300. Ashley had her AOD rebuilt there as it came highly recommended by my one buddy. You'd never know her trans was rebuilt. It just worked after that. LTDMan83 is chooching just fine, Ashley must have put 20k on it after the rebuild too.

Digital Dash Enthusiast Hearsesrock427's Avatar

Wow, what a perfect stablemate to the Blue Bomber! Always loved the dark blue on LTD CVs, and how the bright stripes wrap around the trunk creases. Very interesting options on her too- formal rear window but no ditch lights. Lack of cracks on dashpad suggest low UV exposure. Would also explain how the paint has as much clearcoat as it does in most spots and how the canvas top is crack free. Usually by now you see any kind of soft top (vinyl, canvas, etc.) on these cars delaminating along the base of the C pillar and along the bottom edge of the rear window. Well bought if I've ever seen it!
    Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 11-09-2018 at 06:34 PM.
    Slicktopped 1989 Grand Marquis "Ebyt". Primary project.
    255/50/R16 BF Goodrich G-force Sport Comp 2 tires, big disc brakes, polyurethane suspension bushings + body mounts, BBK long tube headers, HVAC delete
    Spring 2019 plans: Aluminum driveshaft, Maintenance, digital dash, 6 point roll cage/chassis bracing, 302 rebuild & refresh
    Spring 2020 plans: Maintenance

Slicktopped 1985 Grand Marquis "Eva". Secondary project.
    Spring 2019 plans: Full chassis swap, maintenance, early body work
    Spring 2020 plans: More body work, handling upgrades, digital dash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast