No announcement yet.

My 87 Crown Vic Ltd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks dude, everything seems good with the motor. Found it. Looks like it will be interesting to secure that clip given the space my fingers are already flapping around. No part number on the clip.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190723_185500.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1285596

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Easy enough to get that clip at the yards around here.
      The wiper motor on The Ice Car was behaving poorly today. I need to get my alternator installed on The Scab, wipers work fine on that car. Also, my snow tires suck in rain.

Edit: I didn't see the pic before, that's the clip alright. Funky little guy. Nice find on that pic.
      Last edited by VicCrownVic; 07-23-2019, 07:46 PM.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Might want to double check but this sort of looks like it: https://www.cjponyparts.com/windshie...-1973/p/HW404/

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Yeap, same clip on the F series trucks too. I know them well but only deal with about 1 a year. Takes me three minutes or so before I figure out how to put them back on without my eyes.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Yup, that's the one guys.
            Part number is # C5ZZ-17531-A.
            $4.00 at local ford parts dept.

Comment

With the wipers fixed....I think I can upgrade with. minimal cash. (Hopefully) . Looking for a little more umph, nothing crazy. Was thinking the following(suggestions please)

1. GT40 heads (bolt to a 351W, or machine work.needed for bolt holes?)
              2. ??? Upper and Lower Intake ???
              3. Lunati Barebones cam (really pleased with the one in my 460) https://www.lunatipower.com/barebone...o-270-280.html.
              4 Timing chain, valves, lifters, pushrod
              5. Dizzy,coil,plugs/wires
              Last edited by Grand1; 08-11-2019, 10:48 PM.

Comment

IIRC many GT-40 heads have 1/2” bolt holes already and are ready to rock with your 351.

Are you going EFI?

Cam is not too far from a stock truck 351 HO grind which is a decent cam for smooth low end torque.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Sticking with carb. You ever run a specific intake for 351w you like? I know the lower is important with these too...the lighting.ones seem pricey. As well Checking around Gt40 heads is $150 you pull.
                  Last edited by Grand1; 08-13-2019, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Never had a 351W but have heard good things about Edelbrock Air Gap intakes for carb applications. They are tall though, looks like six inches or so. I’d certainly up check the space available under your hood before putting money down on it.
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Vic really motivated me with a full day of car repair. The front passenger seat is now power, thanks to Vic and his retrofit. (I will have to admit at this time, that yes, I did put on the motorized track backwards).

"Why are the controls backwards, again?"

Only four hours for my front shocks,(barely enough room on pass. side to even to break a bolt)! Replaced with KYB. Crusty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190908_200837.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	1285842
                      Last edited by Grand1; 09-08-2019, 08:22 PM.

Comment

I was so sore after that repairathon, I woke up every time I moved last night.

It wasn't until I started putting the trim/cover pieces back on that it finally dawned on me that the track was backward. Something that's not possible on the '90+ stuff (both of my '91s) I've been working on the past 7 years.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Replaced coil, plugs, wires, spark plugs, dizzy. Made sure plug wires are away from one another due to crossfire. Under load at 25 to 35, hesitation and loss of power throughout acceleration. I have twisted my dizzy every flipping way in small increments, issue does not go away. Advice?

Comment

You have a timing light? I think you said you did, or I would be surprised if you neighbor doesn't. Check timing and also double check for loose connections. After changing plugs and wires once I didn't get one of my wires seated all the way on the plug or dizzy cap and had an intermittent miss. Didn't take long to find and fix.
                            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Set the timing correctly first. Does the timing mark dance? Ever check the timing chain for slop? You can do this by removing the distributor cap and rocking the crank with a breaker bar. If the crank moves without the rotor, the chain is sloppy. 87's for some reason often got the shitty plastic chain, and the engine will not run right if the chain is loose. Also if it jumps the valves in the head bend.

If its still doing it, unhook the EGR valve and see what you get.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the advice gentleman. Will definitely check the timing chain as well....if that is questionable it will give me an extra reason to strip her down to the lower block.

Comment

Working...
                                X