Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011 grand marquis, anything I should be aware of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2011 grand marquis, anything I should be aware of?

Hey guys. I’m doing research on getting a new car. I have my eyes on a 2011 grand marquis... nah fuck it here’s the ad

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...727203953.html

Now I’m looking for a solid daily and I’m wondering just what to expect. I know these engines can be reliable, however buying a new car is sticking my neck out.

While I love my 1986 vic I’m thinking maybe getting something modern would be good for dailying in the frozen artic hellhole that is Minnesota.

Also what wheels would look good on that car. I really don’t like the fact the car is silver but it’s the latest year panther I could find that wasn’t beaten on by state troopers.

Originally posted by DrHax View Post
    Hey guys. I’m doing research on getting a new car. I have my eyes on a 2011 grand marquis... nah fuck it here’s the ad

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...727203953.html

Now I’m looking for a solid daily and I’m wondering just what to expect. I know these engines can be reliable, however buying a new car is sticking my neck out.

While I love my 1986 vic I’m thinking maybe getting something modern would be good for dailying in the frozen artic hellhole that is Minnesota.

Also what wheels would look good on that car. I really don’t like the fact the car is silver but it’s the latest year panther I could find that wasn’t beaten on by state troopers.
    4.6 will be smooth and decent on gas. Probably won’t need much attention, just regular maintenance. Has DBW, so it may feel a little weird without the resistance of a throttle cable.

Dual exhaust always helps along with adding a rear sway bar. Any ‘92+ rear bar will bolt right on.

If you’re going to drive through the winter, toss on a good set of snow tires and you’ll be in business. IMO, I’ve always liked those style wheels, and they look real nice on the Marquis models with the dark gray metallic paint jobs. I’m sure some newer Mustang wheels will bolt up easily with no mods.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Yeah I’m sure the car looks better in person. I’m just right now contacting my insurance agent and my local credit union to see how the numbers game is. Insurance I’m sure will not be a factor. It’s the financing that might.
      And id rather not go through a dealership as they tend to inflate the numbers... I was looking at a 2006 grand Marquis, also silver funnily enough, and they wouldn’t tell me the price. Came back with a fucking financing option for 7k?! Excuse me!
      They wouldn’t tell me the price held me hostage, I ended up leaving so pissed off.

Granted I’d rather have this car than that one. It’s newer and apparently it’s a flex fuel car. Anybody have any experience with corn gas?

Comment

It’s newer and apparently it’s a flex fuel car. Anybody have any experience with corn gas?
        Flex fuel cars use a heat range colder spark plug than their non-Flex models. The PCM can determine what’s being burned and adjust accordingly. Fuel economy is less on E85 though. I think some people report 14-15 city vs 16-18 city.

Speaking of mileage on regular fuel, in mixed driving I see roughly 19-21 MPG. If I’m steady on the highway, 24-28 MPG is attainable. The 2.73 rear may not be quick off the line, but does great on the highway.

My Cars:
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Looks like it was a former rental car. Check car fax. Nothing wrong with that if it was taken care of. I would have it undercoated for sure. Try to get it for $3500-3800. Around here, it is a shame, but only taxi companies get them.

Comment

That’s an ex rental. Car fax is a must. Fuel efficiency will be closer to 14/26 than 16/24. Rear end fluid probably has only been changed once, if at all; same for the transmission. You’ll want to check those carefully. Try for $3200 if you can, unless it’s somehow southern kind of rust free. Then $3800-4K would be fair. You’ll want a rear sway bar, cop box, and dual exhaust in order for it not to get a tad motion sick on backroads and to get out of your own way when you need to. Probably will run you ~$200 not counting tune to adjust for the air flow.
            2010 Mercury Grand Marquis LS “The Douche” - 70mm throttle body, P71 airbox, 21mm rear sway bay, dual exhaust, Dodge rims, 89K and counting. 4/2018-
            1966 Ford Thunderbird (390FE) “Fordy McFordface” - engine rebuild No. 3. 11/2016-
            RIP 2005 Buick LaCrosse CXS “Jumba” - gone too soon, 229K. 6/2017-2/2018
            RIP 2001 Chevrolet Tracker LT “Featherbrick” - gone too late, 156K POS. 6/2016-9/2016.
            Sold 2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - 198K. 6/2016-4/2018

Comment

I checked the Carfax app to see its service record history. It looks like the dealership that is selling it serviced it last, but before then it was a Chevy dealership at 62k

And then before that was a Valvoline it registered for an oil change and fuel injection cleaning, at 42k miles then at a Volkswagen dealership at 31k twice. I know that dealership they fuck up a lot so seeing the car in twice isn’t a surprise

Comment

On Monday I’m going to go take a look at it, and as well looking at my other options of getting the Vic fixed

Comment

Your '86 is modern enough. Just wasn't loved by the previous owners and you're the one stuck rehabilitating it. I've been DD'ing pre 1996 stuff for nearly 5 years now. When maintained, anything can be a DD, don't be sold by "newer is better/more reliable." If its out of the factory warranty, it is a used car just like anything else, if not worse than the generation it replaced. A new car means an unknown service history and unknown reliability. You know what your car needs, you know nothing of this one yet are prepared to spend some $3,000 on it. You could put that money toward your '86 and have a better car, that is what I'd do.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I’m weighing the pros and cons realistically with my insurance company if I have two cars on the policy it’ll drop like a stone in pricing... also financing this grand marquis is looking like it’d be affordable and then some..

Granted it all depends on if I truly like this car.

Comment

I’m weighing the pros and cons realistically with my insurance company if I have two cars on the policy it’ll drop like a stone in pricing... also financing this grand marquis is looking like it’d be affordable and then some..

Granted it all depends on if I truly like this car.
                      Check it out and take it for a spin, the handling on the newer ones is better than the older ones. A few simple upgrades make it even better.
                      2010 Mercury Grand Marquis LS “The Douche” - 70mm throttle body, P71 airbox, 21mm rear sway bay, dual exhaust, Dodge rims, 89K and counting. 4/2018-
                      1966 Ford Thunderbird (390FE) “Fordy McFordface” - engine rebuild No. 3. 11/2016-
                      RIP 2005 Buick LaCrosse CXS “Jumba” - gone too soon, 229K. 6/2017-2/2018
                      RIP 2001 Chevrolet Tracker LT “Featherbrick” - gone too late, 156K POS. 6/2016-9/2016.
                      Sold 2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - 198K. 6/2016-4/2018

Comment

Originally posted by ClayBelt View Post
                        Check it out and take it for a spin, the handling on the newer ones is better than the older ones. A few simple upgrades make it even better.
                        While I like the feel of the old recirculating ball steering, the rack and pinion cars are really precise. Watt’s Linkage on the ‘98+ cars help with rear stability, especially with a sway bar. You can really only go fowards from there if you start going beyond factory upgrades.

My Cars:

Comment

I got it. It’s from Nevada not a drop of rust. Judging from the scuff marks on the rear bumper it was an airport car. It’s insanely clean.

But being from Nevada I wonder how many hookers were in it?

Comment

Wish you well with it. I would not worry about the hooker factor, It isn't a limo. Then I would worry allot.
                            Does it have stickers on the driver door jam ? You might be able to determine the rental agency. My bet is either Hertz or Budget.

Comment

Anyways onto the next issue for the time being the stereo. I’ve gotten a bunch of conflicting information about double dins.

All I need to do is cut the trim the opening a bit and remove two screw right?

Or is it more complicated? I have no quarrels about going deeper down the rabbit hole, but I’d like to know what chaos to expect.,

Comment

Working...
                              X