PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Eric's 1989 Yellow Grand Marquis

Quote Originally Posted by jaywish View Post
    Like that "eye brow" roofline
    I do as well... I'm not that fond of the side view roof line so I might attempt a chop when I am more confident in my metal shaping skills. Not planning on a show car... I like the "patina" it has now.

When I bought this thing, I did not bother to check the heater ... and of course it does not seem to work. The fan works somewhat, but no heat... normally I would think an open stuck thermostat, but since I have been randomly reading posts here it seems these cars have a vacuum operated contraption (that seems overly complex lol) that goes bad. What would be the first thing you would check?
    I might need to make a run up to MI soon, so heat moved up on my list of priorities.
    Thanks in advance
    Eric

I post a lot...

Yes if the car has automatic temp control then it came with a valve inline in the heater core hose. I replaced mine once and it worked fine for years after that. I believe I bought either ford or Standard.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Quote Originally Posted by jaywish View Post
    Yes if the car has automatic temp control then it came with a valve inline in the heater core hose. I replaced mine once and it worked fine for years after that. I believe I bought either ford or Standard.
    Does automatic temp control mean I would have a way to set a specific temperature? I don't think I have that, but I know there is a contraption in my heater hose... could it just be eliminated and replaced with new hose without it? I really like simplicity and don't care about precise temp control.

Just ran out and looked and it is automatic temp control.

I post a lot...

Yes you can replace it with a length of hose. IIRC you need to jump the electric connections. If I am wrong someone please correct. The precision will not be impaired. What the valve does is prevent the blower from coming on till the water temp is 40 degrees (?) or more so it does not blow cold air into the passenger compartment.

I believe if you tie the two electrical connections together the fan may come on. then you could deal with replacing the valve later. Again am I wrong?
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

yes, jump the electrical (or just cut and solder together) and plug the vacuum lines.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Thanks Jaywish and Sly... most likely that is what I will do. My heater hoses are looking pretty bad at 30yrs old as well, so that will be a good soon-to-do project.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

If the blower blows and you still have crap for heat, pull the clear hose thats directly behind the glovebox. If it gets hot, the interior temp sensor is bad. They are unfortunately obsolete. I had one apart, I can't for the life of me figure out what actually fails in there, so it could just be dirt. Maybe a good cleaning or a dunk in an ultrasonic cleaner would bring them back to life. Can't really take it apart unfortunately, it requires bending up a spring that is part of the calibration.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by Eric62 View Post
    Thanks Jaywish and Sly... most likely that is what I will do. My heater hoses are looking pretty bad at 30yrs old as well, so that will be a good soon-to-do project.
    Make sure to slit the hoses at the heater core before prying them off. They tend to bond to the core after being installed for all of these years. You do not want to put any unnecessary stress on the core. If she starts to leak you will have NO fun replacing it...dash removal.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234