No announcement yet.

Eric's 1989 Yellow Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like it! It's in way better shape than my cars (don't let the old signature pictures fool you I'm missing things like rocker panels).

If I'm not mistaken '89 had a one year only tripminder, so if you find one from a pre '89 car it's not plug and play. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I think it just involves repinning a the connector or something. I'm sure someone will fill you in with the actual details though.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by Eric62 View Post
      Thanks!... I don't believe I have ever seen one. I normally don't like a lot of options, but a trip minder sounds handy... especially since good MPG is one of my goals.
      Bump the timing to 12 degrees, helped me achieve 24.xMPG on my way to Arizona. Keep the tires inflated, drive like there's an egg under the gas pedal and keep your top speed less than or equal to 65mph. My car 3.27's cogs out back.

It's odd you mention town cars... 2 days before I bought this car, I got a text asking if I wanted my brothers old Lincoln. I was not sure at the time, as it is a few states away, but I am for sure going to take him up on the offer. He is moving and has decided to let go of it. Nothing major wrong with it, just a lot of little things. I'm pretty sure one of the major things was bad trans seals.

It looked caramel in color when I bought it, so that's a good sign... I will be changing it again soon though.

So ditch lights are just lower extra side marker lights?

I'm the opposite... I like no option cars... In fact, I would prefer no PW, PS, PB... just more things to go wrong and more things in the way. I would have bought a 1960's early 70's car, but they want a fortune for them in any kind of decent drivable shape.

I drove an early 2000's or late 1990's P71 years ago and loved it... The only problem I ever had was the starter went out with no warning. The other problem was I would get pulled over constantly. Got rid of it because of that and I was worried about cut wires everywhere in the thing being and ex detectives car.

I think I would have noticed the trip minder, so no. I do have a trip odometer though, lol.
      No option cars from the 60's and 70's are all I ever see, so I'd say you're in luck my friend! LoL. Kind of the reason I don't like them.

What year Townie? My cut off is 1990, beyond that they put too many camshafts and a mile long timing chain in the engines and so they lost me. Ditch lights aren't extra side markers, they're like mini headlights for the corners, actually, I think they are officially called "cornering lamps" or something like that. In stock configuration, they are supposed to illuminate when you flip the turnsignal, so signaling left would turn the left lamp on and vice versa. They are also supposed to stay on for a few seconds after the signal cancels. We might want another old Lincoln. Ashley misses hers.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Thanks... When I get time to hit some junkyards, I'll be on the lookout for one.

Comment

Thanks... That should be quick and easy! I always keep my tires at max pressure, and I usually drive like an old man, as I pretty much am anyway, lol.

I am in luck except for the prices.

The Town Car is an 89 or older... It has been a long time since I have seen it, but it is a box. Depending on condition it might be a good future project car. Get rid of all the options and simplify it. I am a fan of straight sixes as well and the Ford 300 Inline is an excellent engine... wondering if anyone has ever swapped one of those in? I have a lot of other projects ahead af that, but I enjoy planning ahead... way ahead, lol.

As far as the rearend gears... Are there codes anywhere on the car where I can find the rearend ratio?

Comment

Oh, check the car at the top of the page, the Panther of the Month. That '87(?) Crown Vic has ditch lights, look right between the front bumper and front tire.

Well I'd like to see pics, 'cause yeah, I might want a project too
            I doubt a straight six will fit under the hood but they are great engines. Ash currently drives a '92 F150 with that engine and five speed trans. We love those things, think there will always be one in our life.

The driver's door sticker should have that information, look for a code right under where it says "Axle", and to double check, there should be a tag held in place by one of the upper bolts for the diff cover, usually right side. Tag has the ratio stamped in it, if there's no "L" in between the ratio, it's an open. You can look the door code up on the internets and get back with us, or drop it in here and we'll figure it out.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Tripminder can come from an 83-89 car, but the car side is 1989 specific. I love love love mine. You can wire in an 83-88 without much trouble though. It just won’t be in the factory connector. Extracting a whole uncut tripminder harness from a parts car is a PITA anyway from my experience.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                Tripminder can come from an 83-89 car, but the car side is 1989 specific. I love love love mine. You can wire in an 83-88 without much trouble though. It just won’t be in the factory connector. Extracting a whole uncut tripminder harness from a parts car is a PITA anyway from my experience.
                Right, same physical part just different wiring. Thanks for clearing that up. In other words if he finds one from the JY from a 83-88 car he wants to get as much of the harness and connector as possible.
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I have done absolutely nothing to the car so far, except drive it and I like it! My original plan was to send the title to the MI SOS being that I am in FL, but I decided against that as I don't trust the mail and have little faith in Gov agencies, so I waited until I went back for the holidays. I Got plates and insurance and have been driving it since I got back about 2 weeks ago. I have a few other things that need to be done first and nothing is pressing as far as the car goes, but I will start addressing small issues soon.
                  Eric

Comment

My goals for this car are reliability-simplicity-longevity and gas mileage. I am planning a cross country road trip in April, so I have a lot to do (for me anyway).
                    It is time to start a to do list:
                    1. Oil change... Picked up amsoil synthetic with zinc added. Some say synthetic will cause leaks in an older engine that had only been serviced with conventional... Does anyone have any real world experience with this?

2. Transmission service... Again, a lot of don't do this and don't change the tranny fluid if so many miles or it will go bad. A transmission shop told me that they don't use the machines that suck out all of the fluid from the system because a small passage will get clogged up. I don't know if this is true or they just don't want to invest in the equipment, lol. I was thinking that I might remove the pan, install a shift kit and replace the pan with an aluminum finned one with a drain plug, then every so often drain the pan and refill with fresh fluid. This way, all of the tranny fluid is being replaced slowly. I also plan on adding a cooler for longevity. Although prob not necessary, I like gauges and would like to install a trans temp gauge.
                    I also know, (from lurking here) I need to check out a TV bushing? I will do more research on that topic soon.

3. I am getting quite a bit of water in the trunk... I was told that the source of the leak is most likely the shelf above the tail lights... is this a common problem area?

4. Brakes... The brakes work well, but are a little touchy and it feels like I have a warped rotor. My plan is to flush out the brake system and add all new fluid. I'll then check out all of the components and replace. The parts car I just bought has all new brakes, so I'll probably swap parts if it makes sense.

5. Replace gear oil in the rearend.

6. Tune up... at the very least check plugs cap and rotor, etc.

7. Fix the drivers door. Does not lock and the lock switch has fallen inside the door... so has the courtesy light. The window works, but is a little herky jerky so I will try and address that as well.

8. Add gauges... At the very least oil pressure and temp... would also like volts and trans temp.

9. I'm not picky about stereos, but something decent would be nice. At the very least get the stock system working. Right now it is staticky and speakers take turns working... volume goes up and down on its own etc.

10. Would like to find a tripminder as I would like to start monitoring Mpgs.

If by some miracle, I can get this accomplished by April, I will be quite happy.

11. Locate a nicer more comfortable seat at the junkyard. I'm thinking out of a lincoln? I read here that the aero and whale seats won't simply just bolt in, but I can do some fab work to make something work if need be.

Comment

I'm no box expert, but here we go:

1.) The synthetic will cause leaks is somewhat true. If its an old neglected engine that's being held together by sludge, then sure, synthetic may cause new leaks. Chances are the 5.0leaker in your car has a few anyway. Double and triple check the PCV valve and the screen/filter that is under it to make sure its functional and not clogged. Its often neglected on a 5.0 because its a bit of a pain to get at being behind the upper intake, but if its plugged it can and will cause leaks or at least make them worse since the crankcase can't vent properly.

2) Transmission fluid. That is a bit of an old wives tale as well, but it also has a grain of truth to it. If a transmission fails after having the fluid changed then it was already damaged and would have failed anyway. If the fluid in yours is still somewhat red and doesn't smell burned then changing it won't hurt anything, it will however extend the life of the transmission. Drain the pan, and if you have a torque converter drain plug, drain that too. I know AODEs in the Aeros had a torque converter drain, don't know for sure if a AOD does or not but if I was to guess I'd say there is. Between the pan and torque converter you'll get 75% of the fluid out and that's sufficient.

2B) TV grommet. That is where the TV cable hooks up to the throttle body. The original ones were nylon and prone to degrading with age and can cause the cable to pop off. If the cable goes slack the line pressures in the transmission go all funky and it can burn up 3rd and 4th gear in a hurry. Ford and others made a brass bushing and retaining clip to replace the nylon one, I'm sure if you search you'll find the part number, I don't have it in front of me right now. Pretty sure there is a stickied thread in the box tech section about it.

2C) Probably should consider flushing the power steering fluid. Ford power steering calls for automatic transmission fluid, so you can use whatever is leftover from the trans service.

3) That is a common enough spot to leak. Another would be rust under the rear window, hidden by the vinyl top.

4) Box brakes always seem a bit overboosted and touchy. At least to me. I've driven several of them in varying condition. Look up the big brake upgrade if you so desire. Using a combination of Aero and Whale parts you can fit '98-02 front brakes onto a box. It does require 16" wheels, '98-'02 brakes are massive and don't fit in a 15" wheel. Alternative upgrade would be '95-'97 brakes, still bigger than what's on a box but will fit in a 15" wheel. Its all a bolt-on affair, the mounting points and lower control arms are the same, IIRC for a box you'd use '92-'94 upper control arms along with '95-'02 spindles and whichever hubs go with the brakes you choose ('95-'97 hubs are narrower than '98-'02 hubs but fit the spindles just the same however the calipers won't center over the rotor if you use the "wrong" ones). I forget what brake hoses would go on a box for the big brakes. There's plenty of info about it around here.

5) Gear oil in the rear end is also often overlooked. There is no risk in changing it and its good practice, so go for it. Box body 8.8 should call for 80w90 in regular service, no harm in using that, or even going thicker with it, rear differentials aren't picky. Should take a bit over 2qts. I perpetually have 1/2 a quart of gear oil around because they only take 1/4-1/2 of the 3rd bottle. Personally I run 75w90 synthetic in mine.

6) Tune up is straightforward enough. I would definitely replace the cap/rotor if they are of unknown age.

7) Drivers door is probably suffering from a seized up power lock actuator, pretty common on boxes. The seal around the glass isn't perfect and so water gets into the door and onto the lock actuator causing it to seize. The lock won't even turn with the key when the actuator freezes. Temporary fix would be to disconnect the linkage between the latch and lock actuator, then you can at least lock it manually with the key. Did that on my buddy's '91 wagon, both front doors and the tailgate had seized lock actuators so they got disconnected.

9) Stereos are all personal preference. As much as I like the looks of the stock radios, they can't even compare in sound quality to an aftermarket one unless you go thru the trouble of hunting down a functional "premium sound" setup.

11) I forget when the changeover happened, IIRC it was '90 for the seats. The floorpan changed slightly so later seats aren't a direct swap into an older car. However, if you use the seat tracks from the current seats pretty much any '90+ seat will fit.

Might also look up the 3G alternator upgrade. The stock alternators can be problematic, along with being kinda underpowered. 3G swap is pretty straightforward. Basically you use the alternator from a '90s Taurus, they came in 2 flavors, 90 and 130a, both considerably better than the 60a or whatever the stock 2G puts out. Depending on what the donor vehicle is, its pretty much a direct swap. Change out the regulator connector and run a properly sized charge cable and..that's it.
                      -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                      1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

All looks like good advice, Steve. Also, yes it was '90 that the seats changed.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Thanks BigMerc96 for the detailed response... A lot of good info!

Also, thanks for reminding me:

12. Fix power steering leak. I don't see an obvious leak, but I have to add fluid every few days.

13. I am going to add relays to my headlights as well. These new car headlights blind me silly, making my headlights useless until my eyes recover. I just leave my brights on all the time nowadays.

Comment

Thanks... I am planning on looking at newer towncar seats 1st as I imagine they are the best quality. I know they won't bolt in, but I should be able to make them work somehow.

Comment

Type F trans fluid is quieter in the PS system than the Dexron/Mercon or Mercon V the transmission wants. Both work though.

If you can find someone with a headlight aimer, that will go a long way towards helping the light output as well. Between relays and a proper aim, I see very well with my cars even with boring old sealed beam halogen lamps.

The later seats can be adapted, but you have to drill a couple of holes in the seat frame. Use the original seat tracks though, the floor changed in 90 or 91.

The stereo you might start with making sure everything is plugged in and hasn't been screwed with. The stock stuff is mediocre at best, even with the premium sound. The later cars had better stuff, but the 80s were not exactly a time of high fidelity unless you owned a Lincoln and spent a stack of money on the JBL system upgrade. I believe that was somewhere around a grand. Not an option on the Ford and Mercury models. The single best thing you can say about the stock radios is they look proper in the dashboard.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks... I am planning on looking at newer towncar seats 1st as I imagine they are the best quality. I know they won't bolt in, but I should be able to make them work somehow.
                                I've got '92 Executive trim seats in my '87. IIRC, TecNickal swapped the bases between the two so the floor didn't get modified. All the controls work and behave like factory.

My Cars:
                                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X