Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
    Like that "eye brow" roofline
    I do as well... I'm not that fond of the side view roof line so I might attempt a chop when I am more confident in my metal shaping skills. Not planning on a show car... I like the "patina" it has now.

Comment

When I bought this thing, I did not bother to check the heater ... and of course it does not seem to work. The fan works somewhat, but no heat... normally I would think an open stuck thermostat, but since I have been randomly reading posts here it seems these cars have a vacuum operated contraption (that seems overly complex lol) that goes bad. What would be the first thing you would check?
      I might need to make a run up to MI soon, so heat moved up on my list of priorities.
      Thanks in advance
      Eric

Comment

Yes if the car has automatic temp control then it came with a valve inline in the heater core hose. I replaced mine once and it worked fine for years after that. I believe I bought either ford or Standard.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
          Yes if the car has automatic temp control then it came with a valve inline in the heater core hose. I replaced mine once and it worked fine for years after that. I believe I bought either ford or Standard.
          Does automatic temp control mean I would have a way to set a specific temperature? I don't think I have that, but I know there is a contraption in my heater hose... could it just be eliminated and replaced with new hose without it? I really like simplicity and don't care about precise temp control.

Comment

Just ran out and looked and it is automatic temp control.

Comment

Yes you can replace it with a length of hose. IIRC you need to jump the electric connections. If I am wrong someone please correct. The precision will not be impaired. What the valve does is prevent the blower from coming on till the water temp is 40 degrees (?) or more so it does not blow cold air into the passenger compartment.

I believe if you tie the two electrical connections together the fan may come on. then you could deal with replacing the valve later. Again am I wrong?
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

yes, jump the electrical (or just cut and solder together) and plug the vacuum lines.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks Jaywish and Sly... most likely that is what I will do. My heater hoses are looking pretty bad at 30yrs old as well, so that will be a good soon-to-do project.

Comment

If the blower blows and you still have crap for heat, pull the clear hose thats directly behind the glovebox. If it gets hot, the interior temp sensor is bad. They are unfortunately obsolete. I had one apart, I can't for the life of me figure out what actually fails in there, so it could just be dirt. Maybe a good cleaning or a dunk in an ultrasonic cleaner would bring them back to life. Can't really take it apart unfortunately, it requires bending up a spring that is part of the calibration.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Eric62 View Post
                      Thanks Jaywish and Sly... most likely that is what I will do. My heater hoses are looking pretty bad at 30yrs old as well, so that will be a good soon-to-do project.
                      Make sure to slit the hoses at the heater core before prying them off. They tend to bond to the core after being installed for all of these years. You do not want to put any unnecessary stress on the core. If she starts to leak you will have NO fun replacing it...dash removal.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I finally have some time this weekend to actually do some work.

Before I knew the power steering required transmission fluid, I used actual power steering fluid. It had a stop leak in it and since then I have not had any problems with it, so that is fine for now.

I ordered Ford Racing plug wires, which look great, especially for the price, and an Accel cap and rotor, as they were brass terminals and the MSD was not. I installed the cap and rotor yesterday and the thing runs better already. I picked up some Motorcraft Iridiums last night as well before reading a spark plug opinion thread here... A member had the opinion that he liked to change them every 50k anyway so he uses cheaper copper plugs... I kind of like that rationale as it would also keep the plugs from seizing up as well if changed that often. I'm pretty sure my car has never had a tune up and still has the original plugs, wires, cap rotor... they look original and I thought I would have problems removing them, but the 1st one on the passenger side came out without any issues... hopefully they all come out as easy. It did look worn, but had a nice tan color.
                        Other than plugs and wires, I will start digging into gauge installation... most likely I'll try and mount them temporarily until I get back from my trip as I won't have time to do it right until I get back, but I at least want a temp gauge.
                        I'll post pics later.

Comment

Using PS fluid won't hurt it, it just might make more noise. Old nasty fluid is noisy too.
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                            yes, jump the electrical (or just cut and solder together) and plug the vacuum lines.
                            I was looking at it today and it looks like it has 2 electrical connections for a total of 4 wires... do I connect each pair together?

Comment

2 are wires, the other two are plastic vacuum hoses. Blue and black are the vacuum, I forget what color the electrical ones are.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                2 are wires, the other two are plastic vacuum hoses. Blue and black are the vacuum, I forget what color the electrical ones are.
                                Thank You... I don't think I have ever seen vacuum lines that small.

Comment

Working...
                                X