PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just bought an 86 LTD CV, new to the forum!

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

The traction lock is quite likely worn out by now. Mine was effectively an open rear by 130k, but my car did live a pretty bad life. On snow it would only spin one tire, so that tells you how whipped it was. It did manage to get around passably even with that, but it was a lot better once the clutches were replaced. I haven't driven it in winter for years though. I sort of miss it, the thing did donuts like nobody's business.

People do put way more stock in that FWD thing than I think is justified. I've been driving a 2wd S10 pickup since 2001 as my daily beater. In the winter it gets some cinderblocks in the bed but thats it. Open rear, all-season tires, the ABS doesn't work, and I manage to get around in it. It just requires care and having an understanding of what you can and can't do. All the technical gee-gaws in the world won't make up for a lack of common sense behind the wheel. It doesn't usually snow all that often or all that much in NJ but when it does, wow do the morons come out in force.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Yep, I'll take RWD with posi hands down every time over FWD. I hate understeering through intersections. A tire can only give 100% of it's traction and each time you make an additional request to it you are dividing it's ability, something has to give. Also, if your wheels are already slipping/spinning, making them spin faster isn't going to get you unstuck or move you any faster..
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

Trac-loc in my '90 works great. So well, in fact, that the damn thing can't even spin the tires. Admittedly i have big tires and my car is gutless. With first rain it'll get a bit loose because the road is really slick. The scary part is that it has so little power, it doesn't predictably spin the tires so you're never sure what it's going to do. Combine that with the Nittos' lousy wet traction as a whole and my "insta-lock" brakes, this turd is no fun to drive in the rain.

If we ever had real winter here i'd have to get another set of tires, proper all-seasons.

I can live with an open diff, but trac-loc is nice for trailer towing when you get that one wheel in the muck at the side of the road...
    I'd like to set the car up with SD HO, nothing crazy but I think 200hp/300tq (flywheel) isn't impossible. Enough to move a couple tons of trailer, not enough to get in trouble without trying. >

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I post a lot...

I knew that’s what the link was going to be... love it.
    2017 Buick Enclave 3.6 (Burgundy/Beige)
    2017 Hyundai Elantra SE w/tech (Silver/Grey)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Marisa Tomei or however you spell that. Nuff said.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123