No announcement yet.

Van?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"That's just fuckin' weird!" (Boondock Saints reference)

OldCarBrochures.com is down so I can't check the one brochure I'm thinking of. Maybe I read an '88 brochure but I'm almost positive it was an '87. I've never seen one in the wild, I wonder how many people had to deal with that..
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

In my early mechanic-ing days (early 90s) the old timers generally thought of EFI as a plaything to be given to the ignorant masses.
      "You can't work on those EFI things without computers and special tools and parts and it's all the dealers screwing good honest mechanics out of their work" sort of thoughts.
      And with the OBD-I era stuff and the crappy CFI/Feedback Carbs/Variable Venturi Carbs, they weren't entirely wrong.

But, of course--who looks back at mechanical breaker points and says, "I wish they'd never come out with electronic ignition, I could fix my car with a matchbook and a crescent wrench on the side of the road in the rain!" anymore? I mean, sure, I do sometimes. But I had a Triumph GT6 back in high school, and I could fix it on a street corner with a screwdriver and a toothpick. But I also HAD to fix it about every other street corner, and I HAD to have a toothpick and a screwdriver on me every day.

So I think on the professional level commercial vehicles, there was a wink and a nod to the dinosaur mechanics that kept the heavy machinery going, with carburetors and all the old stuff being bumped off the production line.

But with OBD2, and a generation of us that grew up with EFI and more modern designs, fuel injection just isn't scary anymore. Even timing belts and overhead camshafts are no longer subject to the cries and moans of a generation of crusty old mechanics at the diner by the shop.

Life goes on. Our Fords keep on running.

Comment

whats funny, old EFI is now scary demon juju again, much as it was in the 80s when it was new. Modern diagnostics have gotten so complete that dealing with EEC-IV is just about impossible to explain now.

I did my first timing belt not long ago. Other than the fact it needs a special cam holding tool it wasn't a big deal. Luckily I got a screaming deal on a copy of the genuine article. The proper tool was listed for more than I paid for the car. My copy doesn't have the cool hold-down bolts but functionally it gets the job done. Honestly getting the valve cover back on was almost as difficult as anything else, but thats just because there is other shit in the way. Adjusting the valves on that thing is a PITA too, but its a BMW engine so I suppose it has to have at least one needlessly frustrating aspect. Besides of course the fact it even needs to have the valves lashed manually on an engine developed in the 80s.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, I was going to say that. Really to me it is much simpler compared to modern stuff with CAN-BUS and the 20+ modules which connect to it and yadda yadda. Eric O. uses some sort of PICO thingamabobber, allows you to see the wave forms of stuff and since he has pretty good examples of what those look like one could extrapolate from his videos to troubleshoot our stuff.

Even modern stuff can't be easily fixed. Ashley's parents had a 2010 Malibooty or something like that which went to the dealer several thousand times (why they never did lemon law I'll never know) and it even went to the GM tech center. They couldn't figure out why the thing just randomly quit going around corners. What a POS. All GM offered them was a sliver of a deal on a newer vehicle. Assholes, I love how it takes getting someone to be obligated through a court order to do something "kind" for people. Short of that, all you get for your trouble is something akin to "I'm sorry." which really only makes the other person feel better, does nothing to alleviate the problem.

Comment

I love my DragVan...EFI 5.0 with some goodies, N/A...8.94@75 best in the 1/8th lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151114_154215956 (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1284926
            Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Love the graphics
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Blue View Post
                I love my DragVan...EFI 5.0 with some goodies, N/A...8.94@75 best in the 1/8th lol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51369[/ATTACH]
                Yah, that is a good lookin' van. I also dig the graphics and handprint blood stain on the rear doors
                If only it had the dual gas tank option...

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/c...767773629.html

This is also a nice van, factory turd smog 305 or 350 but manual column shift so it's awesome.

Comment

Working...
                X