how to remove motor mounts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to remove motor mounts?

Hi Everyone, I couldn't find anything on this after searching the forum - I figured someone had to struggle with this like I am!

Trying to remove the motor mounts on my 84 wagon - got the top two bolts off of each side, but the bottom one (closest to the center of the car) on each side looks near impossible without removing the lower A arm...please tell me I don't have to take that off to get to this last bolt! Maybe there is a trick or technique I'm not thinking of? They're on there pretty good so I don't want to strip the heads by using a steep angle with a socket...

Thanks!
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Easy way, remove the lower control arms.

Hard way, get flex sockets and fight through the holes to get the bolts out. It is possible and I have done it, but it sucks and its not possible to do without a socket with a built-in flex joint and a long enough extension. Getting it back in is even more fun since you have to get the bolt in there without dropping it.

Basically its a PITA no matter how you slice it. I did mine when the suspension was apart for the brake upgrade. I pulled the mounts on another one with the suspension in, but I didn't put it back together. It did go, but someone else dealt with it.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What he said. Get the 13mm socket size in shallow form WITH the swivel built in. It will do the job.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post775079

Been there...done that..
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

got it. that makes sense as my universal joint and my harbor freight flex head extensions were not cutting it. the built in swivel looks to be a lot stronger.
        1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

possibly a little stronger but definitely more compact. I bought a set of these recently for the intake and injection pump job on the Continental. When I took the intake off I was using the regular socket + swivel and it was just a little too big. Went much easier with the more compact tool.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If I may ask, which set did you buy?

Comment

Mine are SK, got them used from Jaywish. Scott owns the set I used on the motor mount, I think they are Blue Point or Mac, his are impact sockets and mine are not.

Comment

Working...
              X