Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a pic of the later model Shift Cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a pic of the later model Shift Cable?

Looking to see what the later box "shifter cable" setup looks like. Doing a swap in my wagon and would like to keep column shift but lose the bulky shift rods/linkage that I have now as it takes up a lot of space...

Thanks!
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

I believe the column itself is entirely different since the shift tube is different. I don't think you can swap a late column for an early one either. The shape of the thing is rather different and it won't take the covers or fit up to the dashboard correctly.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What he said.

I don't have pictures, but having done multiple trans removal and install/reinstalls on an '89 MGM and a '91 MGM I know it's much easier to deal with the cable shift setup than the old style rods. However, the old style rod setup seems much less likely to ever fail (not that the cable setup is prone to failure that I know of). So I can see the motivation for wanting to do such a swap.
      Last edited by VicCrownVic; 11-27-2018, 07:08 PM.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

The mechanical shifter set up on 89 down cars is on the engine side were the cable set up is on the inside under the dash. The brackets and linkage to the trans would be easy, though. WagonMan
        89 Colony Park
        90 Colony Park
        70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Got it. That's too bad, would love to free up that space where my turbo down pipe would go. If I can't swap columns it's probably a no go and I'll just go with a floor shifter. Would love to keep that column shift but not an absolute necessity.
          1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

On my '87 F150, the transmission uses the "outdoor" mechanical linkage. Some years ago, on an off-road trip recovering an unfortunate Jeep, I hung the thing up on a tree stump and in the process the bell crank bracket under the truck got sheared off.
            For a long time, a metal rod attached to a pivot under the truck served as a de facto floor shift, although it meant getting out of the truck and reaching under to shift into 4WD. Having manual hubs, this wasn't a big problem as I had to get out and walk around anyway; although it gave me an appreciation for shifting into 4WD BEFORE getting into the muck.

Anyway, I eventually purchased a shift cable from Ididit which wasn't too hard to install and works well with the original column, although it does require a little work in the transmission pan (or, it did on my C6; not positive about the AOD; on the C6 the shift arm at the transmission has to be removed and modified, and the hardware is inside).
            So I'd suggest that as a possible solution; but it still may not give you a lot more space; I'd download the install instructions first.

Comment

Working...
            X