tilt steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tilt steering

I've got an 85 crown vic police package car and it doesn't have tilt steering in it. Was wondering if it is possible to switch out columns and is it a big job or difficult to do? Thanks

Should be possible, there wouldn't be anything different about the rest to of the car. Don't see why it would be all that difficult either, just a little cumbersome to pull and re-install it. Lots of wires to pull, the shift indicator cable, shift linkage, and the connection between the upper and lower column, then the bolts actually holding it to the bottom of the dash should be about it. I've dropped mine to the seat for a heater core before and it wasn't very difficult. Wouldn't be all that much extra to pull it from the car entirely.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok thanks.

Comment

+1 not that hard, just very tedious with completely stripping everything off of the column to swap in the tilt one. Finding said tilt column would probably be the most difficult as the shrouds are starting to turn to dust if they've been in the sun much.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The hardest part of swapping columns is getting to the tiny screws holding the rubber gasket to the floor! Covered by a hard plastic trim piece. BTW, I have several tilt column covers is different colors if anybody needs them. WagonMan
          89 Colony Park
          90 Colony Park
          70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

FWIW

The “tilt” steering in these cars involves the wheel tilting up and down. The column stays put. Can’t say I’m a big fan of it. Puts the wheel at moderately uncomfortable angles in my opinion.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I like the tilt as it gives me just enough room to squeeze out and in without rubbing on the seat or steering wheel with my pants.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

In the Mad Marquis, the tilt for me was always one notch down. The newer columns are better for the comfort factor for sure, but it also introduced several issues.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I always liked how the pre-90 box wheel tilted.
                  2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                  2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                  Past Panthers
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                  if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Working...
                  X