Transmission Output shaft bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Output shaft bushing

2010 GM, 94000 miles, starting to leak trans fluid out the tailshaft. Not bad, not leaving spots on the ground. (Yet)

My question is, does it pay to have the tailshaft bushing replaced when I replace the rear output seal? I have been told these can cause a seal to leak if they start to go bad. I planned on doing the filter/fluid soon anyway.

Car sometimes has a light shake or vibration around 45mph and 60mph. Worse in cold weather or until car warms up. Could possibly be tires too as this car chewed up the last set of tires prematurely for no apparent reason.

I happned to notice that you didn't get a response yet, so I'm responding for the sake of improving the chances that someone more knowledgeable than me will see the thread and provide a response.

If you can afford the extra expense, I would say replacing the bushing could never be a bad thing (unless someone screws it up). The typical question would be whether it's actually necessary, and I really wouldn't know without inspecting/measuring. In theory, if the bushing has too much play, the shaft could end up with more movement than the seal can tolerate, even if the seal is not otherwise bad. In theory, your vibration issue could be related to U-joints going bad, which would have implications for bushing wear arising from driveshaft play. Doing the seal, bushing, and U-joints all together if you can afford it should provide peace of mind.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

WOn't hurt but unless the bushing is wiped I don't know that it will do much for you. I've never changed one.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
      X