X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saggy rear springs colony park 1985

hi,
    i need new rear springs on my 1985 colny park
    what would you recommand, new factory springs or easier to install Airlift 1000 helper airsprings?

I used Moog wagon cargo coils on mine. Got it back up to factory ride height and it rides smooth.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

If you tow or vary the amount of weight in the car a lot, the Airlift would let you adjust ride height. If not, standard or cargo coils will do the job fine.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        If you tow or vary the amount of weight in the car a lot, the Airlift would let you adjust ride height. If not, standard or cargo coils will do the job fine.
        Don’t mean to hijack tread but what rear spring are best matched with hd front springs.

Comment

depends what the "HD" springs are.

this is the collected wisdom thus far. I'd probably figure out what spring rate those are and match whatever the factory used with springs close to that rate.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ll=1#post39836
          http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post158894

I've not had great luck with the sedan cargo coils. Tried two sets on my car, both went flat in a couple years and left the ass end dragging. I have boring stock replacement coils in there now. Towncar front coils at least are a little different than the Vic stuff, but they also weigh more and would likely make the car sit a little bit higher. Without looking I don't remember if the replacement rears are the same for both cars.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

depends what the "HD" springs are.

this is the collected wisdom thus far. I'd probably figure out what spring rate those are and match whatever the factory used with springs close to that rate.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ll=1#post39836
            http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post158894

I've not had great luck with the sedan cargo coils. Tried two sets on my car, both went flat in a couple years and left the ass end dragging. I have boring stock replacement coils in there now. Towncar front coils at least are a little different than the Vic stuff, but they also weigh more and would likely make the car sit a little bit higher. Without looking I don't remember if the replacement rears are the same for both cars.
            I have the hd trw 8652 on my front. I was wondering if there is like a diagram or picture of how it will sit with different springs kind of like this one on lmc trucks. I think i seen one some where but cant remember where where at.

Comment

never seen such a thing. Dunno, I learned a while ago after changing the springs for the third time on my car that I'm stupid and the engineers at Ford determined what springs I should use back in the 80s. I tried a set of 80s police springs and it was a low rider, probably those springs you have. Tried 90s springs and it was a donk. Put stock springs in and its where it belongs. in the back I've had two sets of cargos, one set of used saggy wagon, and finally stock springs.

Comment

never seen such a thing. Dunno, I learned a while ago after changing the springs for the third time on my car that I'm stupid and the engineers at Ford determined what springs I should use back in the 80s. I tried a set of 80s police springs and it was a low rider, probably those springs you have. Tried 90s springs and it was a donk. Put stock springs in and its where it belongs. in the back I've had two sets of cargos, one set of used saggy wagon, and finally stock springs.
                I know on my first set of front springs i used original spec And they started sagging with in a few months after a year they where way to low this time i got the hd ones and im liking them alot. Now i need to do the back when i swap to the disc rear end. I’ll probably look at the 90s spring then lol since im be upgrading to 18” in the future.

Comment

just watch the rear ride height. Make it much taller than stock and the shocks are not long enough to allow for reasonable suspension travel.

Comment

Working...
                  X