Ford CII Power Steering Pump Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford CII Power Steering Pump Question

A while back I put a CII from a Ford Taurus on Ashley's F-150. I couldn't get the pressure relief valves off so I didn't swap them over... A few weeks later the seal on her steering box blew. We had another reman unit put on. Just the other day, it's seal blew. Is this a coincidence or is the CII from a Taurus equipped with a higher pressure relief valve? From what I found, the F-150 relief valve is set between 1400 & 1500 psi but I couldn't find anything about a Taurus. Now, it does seem to steer a bit easier with the Taurus pump but my concern is the Tauri pump is causing the seals to pop on the F150 box...
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Not sure what year parts you're dealing with, but this is what Alldata has for a circa 1990 Taurus and a 94 F150. Just glancing at it I don't see any obvious reason why it would blow the seals. The truck pump is rated for higher minimum flow and higher pressure than the car one is. Maybe the year matters, dunno.
    Attached Files
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Wow, thanks for the info gadget!

Hmm, looks like a defective seal on the box then. I think the car I pulled the pump from was a '96 or close to it. I didn't even think to look at the odometer, one of Kishy's friends said it had something like 322k on the clock. Of course that was after I pulled it and this is all irrelevant information

Comment

96 Tortise pump spec
        Model: HBC-LC
        min flow 0.9 gpm
        min relief 1300 psi
        max relief 1480 psi
        max free flow @1500 2.6 gpm

no significant change from 1990 it seems, but I wouldn't expect there to be.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Welp, with that info we went and pulled another pump for when we get the truck back. The one on there has been run dry at least three times now.

So this is unrelated to the CII pump but is still a power steering related question: What type of fluid do you run in the Saginaw type pumps? I remember you've got some experience with GM stuff and I'd like to flush out my '89 K1500's system. I'd like to run type F as done in the Ford stuff but don't want to mess anything up.. Looking into GM stuff is rather murky, some people run some GM spec number crap wherever they find it such as a dealer, some run Mercon/Dexron II or III (other people chastise those group of people) and others run stuff taken from the shelf that says "Power Steering Fluid" which is what I've used to top those things off in the past. Right now the truck's system is flawless, sometimes it requires a bit more effort for a second or two but other than that, no leaks or noise after some 240k miles. Fluid looks nasty.

Comment

Saginaws I think run Dexron III but I'm not sure it matters a whole bunch. I've always run Dex III in my S10's Saginaw pump. Its original with 175k so it must not be awful for it.

Comment

Excellent, just what I wanted to know- Actual experience with a given substance. So how long have you been running Dex III? I believe I may even have several quarts of that already on hand, I believe that is what the trans in my Fireturd likes.

Comment

O'Reilly around here still sells a house brand ATF that they label as "Type F", so that's what I use. My pump is still pretty quiet.
                —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                  O'Reilly around here still sells a house brand ATF that they label as "Type F", so that's what I use. My pump is still pretty quiet.
                  You use that in your Saginaw-pump equipped GM/Chevy?

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    You use that in your Saginaw-pump equipped GM/Chevy?
                    We have a classic case of me jumping into a conversation after the subject already changed and I didn't catch it. Don't mind me.
                    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Its had red juice probably since the steering box was replaced, hm, 10 years now ? Before that I think it was a mix of whatever it came with and Dexron as top-up.

Comment

Red juice.. Hmm, well I'll be doing Dex. III for sure now. I'm not fond of those containers of generic "power steering fluid" I see on the shelves.

Comment

Working...
                        X