ATF quantity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATF quantity?

Recently my 97 vic had a leaking transmission cooling line, was driven on it for a little bit and eventually lost all gears except for reverse.

loaded it up with about five quarts so far and still only have reverse. Really hoping i just don't have enough fluid and don't have to rebuild or replace.

now for the question: How many quarts of ATF should i need? I didn't flush the trans or replace the filter, just the cooling line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ray

1997 Crown Victoria LX "Crown Shit"/"Crown Marquis" SENT TOI SCRAP
    1986 Ford Mustang Notchback

What does the dipstick read? Needs to be checked with the engine running.

Total capacity is near 12 quarts. I don't know how much can be lost before it completely stops shifting but losing that much fluid will not be good for it.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      What does the dipstick read? Needs to be checked with the engine running.

Total capacity is near 12 quarts. I don't know how much can be lost before it completely stops shifting but losing that much fluid will not be good for it.
      reads full every time i pour a quart in, after letting it sit for awhile and letting it settle it reads dry again. checking in the morning to see if i need to add anymore.

Ray

Comment

If it’s not leaking out or getting mixed with antifreeze in the cooler at the bottom of the radiator, keep adding until you get a consistent full reading on the dipstick with the engine running.

The wife did this to her 4L60E in her S10. The smell was horrible. Burnt nasty friction material smell. It recovered with addition of fluid (and leak fixed) for about 200 miles then left her stranded with no 3rd/4th.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

You add while the engine is running yes?
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Also check both sides of the dipstick
            2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

just checked the dipstick again and added a quart, still no movement. next up, change the filter. if it doesn't move then the transmission is getting torn out.

Ray

Comment

I don't think changing the filter will get you anything at this point, except maybe for the sake of looking for transmission debris. When you put the fluid down the tube, it sits in the pan until the pump sucks it up through the filter. The reason you check it while running is that the amount in the pan should be at the designated level while the fluid is being circulated. The fact that the fluid is getting sucked up should not be surprising, and it would actually seem to be a good sign. At least it tells you the pump is still working. At this point, it's just a matter of how much more you need before you can see the fluid on the stick consistently and determine if the tranny still changes gears with the right amount of fluid.

It's really a judgment call at this point. The torque converter alone requires something like 4-5 quarts. You've done six of 12, so you might only need 1-2 more or 5-6 more, and you might be screwed in any case. Not having fluid on the stick will certainly make taking the pan off easier, and changing the filter would be a good idea if you know the tranny is not toast, but would the extra work be worthwhile if the tranny is toast? If you don't change the filter and find the tranny is still good with enough fluid, you would lose 4-5 quarts of fresh fluid if you proceed with changing the filter. I'm not even sure what I would do at this point.
                Last edited by IPreferDIY; 12-02-2018, 05:57 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I think loosing 4-5 quarts of fresh fluid if the trans shows to be good is worth the cost vs. the time/money to R&R a whole trans.

Are you checking the dipstick with it in park and running? Any other way will give a false reading.
                  These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Originally posted by FordMan77 View Post
                    I think loosing 4-5 quarts of fresh fluid if the trans shows to be good is worth the cost vs. the time/money to R&R a whole trans.

Are you checking the dipstick with it in park and running? Any other way will give a false reading.
                    have been checking it in park and running, still only have reverse.

I drove it once or twice while the leak was present, never leaving my yard, soon as i realized i had lost all gears except for reverse and that the trans was losing fluid is when I left it to sit until about now. I've only got an acre of land so it's not like i did a whole lot of driving. I'm in an auto tech vocational class so as soon as I can get a trailer and a spot on a lift for a week or two I'll see what my options are.

Ray

Comment

i've got a spot for a couple weeks. just need a way to get the car there and a transmission.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by FordMan77 View Post
                        I think loosing 4-5 quarts of fresh fluid if the trans shows to be good is worth the cost vs. the time/money to R&R a whole trans. ...
                        Good point.

Originally posted by frankenstang View Post
                        have been checking it in park and running, still only have reverse. ...
                        Was the fluid high enough to be consistently showing on the stick with the engine running? If so, then it's obviously not a fluid level issue, and I doubt the filter would be the issue. If not, then it's a matter of how much more you want to spend on fluid before opening it up or taking it out. I don't know the details of how things work inside trannys, but I do know it comes down to high pressure fluid being directed to particular areas to have particular effects. I learned that from a pump drive failing on a FWD vehicle many years ago. No fluid pressure = no workie.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                          Was the fluid high enough to be consistently showing on the stick with the engine running? If so, then it's obviously not a fluid level issue, and I doubt the filter would be the issue. If not, then it's a matter of how much more you want to spend on fluid before opening it up or taking it out. I don't know the details of how things work inside trannys, but I do know it comes down to high pressure fluid being directed to particular areas to have particular effects. I learned that from a pump drive failing on a FWD vehicle many years ago. No fluid pressure = no workie.
                          Consistently showing on the dipstick. assuming since i still have reverse that the pump is still functioning how it's supposed to. If i'm wrong please let me know, just dabbling into this platform as of right now. I'm getting everything together to begin the process.

Ray

Comment

88grandmarq is a tranny expert who might be okay with you sending him a PM asking him to respond to this thread. AFAIK, if the proper level of fluid is sufficient to activate reverse, the pump should be good enough to activate the forward gears. The valve body is the part that directs the fluid where it's supposed to go, so theoretically there might be an issue in there, but that's beyond me. 88grandmarq is definitely the go-to guy.

Comment

fluid capacity depends on torque converter size. models with 11.25" torque converter(police/HPP/sport/Marauder) take 13 qts to fill. models with 12" converter take 14 qts to fill. IF you remove the valve body from the case, it take 10 qts to refill the transmission.

In the case of the original poster. if you have enough fluid, the dipstick reads full and you have no forward gears, you most likely damaged the Forward clutch. when this clutch fails you have NO forward gears, but reverse works fine. rebuild or replace the transmission
                              2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
                              X