Introducing... the Crown S**t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing... the Crown S**t

I'm new here, i've got a 1997 Crown Victoria LX and I figured I might as well join the panther platform enthusiast group. Mine's had no shortage of issues before it's even left my driveway.
    I've had to:
    Replace the fuel pump
    the starter (almost twice in the past month)
    tear off the front sway bar just to get a link off
    tear the ignition switch out of the dash because the key didn't start it
    replace the driver side door
    etc...

And I fear I may have to replace the transmission

It's really healthy looking from the outside but the frame is nothing you wouldn't expect from a 21 year old car from Michigan. The body itself isn't terrible at all.
    Ray

1997 Crown Victoria LX "Crown Shit"/"Crown Marquis" SENT TOI SCRAP
    1986 Ford Mustang Notchback

Welcome!

I'm also in MI, north of Detroit.
    Even my Summer DD doesn't look as nice as your '97.

I'm no stranger to buying old junk, lol. My winter DD I bought for $500 in 2012 with a bad trans. In the first week of owning it I replaced the trans, rear brake lines, alternator, starter, fuel pump, brake caliper that was locking up, and probably some other stuff I forgot.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Get all the bugs worked out and she’ll be reliable for a decade.

I do like that color on Aeros. Also like the wheels. Maybe even better than the 16” HPP versions. I’m not what most people consider normal though.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
        Get all the bugs worked out and she’ll be reliable for a decade.

I do like that color on Aeros. Also like the wheels. Maybe even better than the 16” HPP versions. I’m not what most people consider normal though.
        Those wheels do look nice, assuming the center cap stays on long enough before launching itself off somewhere.

Any backstory to how you wound up with a ‘98+ GMQ GS door on the driver’s side?

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post

Any backstory to how you wound up with a ‘98+ GMQ GS door on the driver’s side?
          my old door was dented to hell. just went to a junkyard, pulled the door off, installed right onto my 97.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
            Those wheels do look nice, assuming the center cap stays on long enough before launching itself off somewhere.
            i've got the center caps on the rear wheels, no luck on finding the other two though. been searching around for them in a junkyard since i got the new tires on

Ray

Comment

Welcome! Does the interior have cloth or leather seats?
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Welcome, I am curious how do you almost change a starter twice? ( sounds like a fun story )
                2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Another Metro Detroit member. There's a good chance we'll do another Metro Detroit meet in late August. For the last 2 we met at a park on 13 Mile in Warren. but if we find someplace better we'll consider it.

The big GMN meet is in PA in early-mid August. I'd like to make it there one of these years but it will probably be a while and probably not with either of my current cars.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Nice looking car, I've got ONE of those stupid clip-on center caps here, but it's got a huge Mercury logo instead of the Ford oval.
                    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                      Welcome! Does the interior have cloth or leather seats?
                      green cloth

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by EaOutlaw1969 View Post
                        Welcome, I am curious how do you almost change a starter twice? ( sounds like a fun story )
                        first time was just because we had let the car sit in a yard for two years, starter was shot.

second time was because the car wouldn't crank, about a week or two after i had replaced the starter. took it off, went and got it tested, then reinstalled.

just took it off one more time to take off my trans, cause that's shot as well.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                          Another Metro Detroit member. There's a good chance we'll do another Metro Detroit meet in late August. For the last 2 we met at a park on 13 Mile in Warren. but if we find someplace better we'll consider it.
                          I really don't plan on keeping this on the road for longer than a year. it's really just a very expensive beater at this point.

Ray

Comment

You might get used to the comfortable ride.
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by frankenstang View Post
                              I really don't plan on keeping this on the road for longer than a year. it's really just a very expensive beater at this point.

Me in 2007 lol.
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                              X