'92-'96 F-series instrument cluster swap possibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'92-'96 F-series instrument cluster swap possibilities

It was brought up elsewhere that there are possibilities of using a '92-'96 F-series instrument cluster in non-mechanical speedometer box panthers in order to gain a tachometer. Below are some measurements of a '91 GM cluster compared with the '92-'96 F-series cluster.

Overall width: truck is just under 15", panther is just over 14.5"

Overall height: truck is just under 7", panther is just under 6", both measurements at the highest points.

Nominal heights, not including the bump on the bottom of the panther and the extra lights on the bottom of the truck: truck is just about 5.5", panther is just under 5.25".

A comparison of the connection points for the indicators and the printed circuits.

—John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Don't forget this picture you posted the other day.
    Originally posted by Giraffe
    I think this would be doable with the right amount of hacking. It would probably look more hacked than my '98-'02 P71 cluster in my '91 MGM.

I do like the layout of this F-series truck cluster, although I haven't convinced myself that I like it enough to try swapping it in.

It looks like it uses the same electrical connectors, so electrically it might just be a matter of re-pinning the stock panther connectors and adding what the tach needs. Key things to know would be if the trucks use the same VSS (looks like it does per RockAuto) and what the fuel level sending unit resistance range is (I haven't found that yet). If I seriously decide I want to do this swap I'll have to pick up (no pun intended) a truck EVTM.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

best I can determine, 95 F150 is 14-18 ohms empty and 154-162 ohms full.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        best I can determine, 95 F150 is 14-18 ohms empty and 154-162 ohms full.
        Oh, that will work just fine with the 15 empty - 160 full my '91 MGM/CV EVTM claims.

Originally posted by Giraffe
        Getting the speedometer to work might take some creativity, though. It has its own connector that completely separates it from the printed circuit on the back of the cluster.
        Also would need to get the connector for the speedo from the donor truck, splice that into what feeds the truck speedo/odo should work.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
        X