Wrong trans fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong trans fluid

So I did what is a big no-no, I accidentally added a little bit of mercon v instead of the correct mercon LV to top off my transmission fluid. I probably added less than half pint, realistically less than a cup, since it was just a little bit low.

I must have unknowingly grabbed the wrong bottle at the store, the two types were right on the shelf next to each other. didn't even look at the bottle till I was about to put it away back in the house. I'm about ready to claw my eyes out right now.

I already drove the car all day today, literally hundreds of miles. It seems fine for now, but how screwed am I? Should I be worried?

2010 Grand Marquis by the way

Comment

Ford doesn’t think they are compatible as you are aware. That said... I would think that a cup difference wouldn’t matter much. I am by no means a transmission professional, however.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The solution to pollution is dilution LOL.
        Since you did not add too much you should be fine.
        If your due for a transmission service now is the time to do it, a simple drain the pan and replace the filter will not purge all the old fluid from the car.
        To get it all out you would need to flush the entire system, the transmission, torque converter and cooler plus lines.

In the end it is your call, if it was my car and I had high mileage on the transmission already I would let it ride. if it has low mileage ( under 75K ) I would do a filter plus flush and fill especially if it was due for the service anyways.
        2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Working...
        X