New to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to me

Hey guys just picked a 89 marquis for a descent price in Ontario, Canada. Its got 140,000km on it but unfortunately has no 3rd or overdrive. First thing I did was check the tv cable and everything looks intact there. I dont know anything about these cars but i like to learn. Im thinking i need to replace/rebuild the aod. (Whats better to buy, a good used aod or a rebuilt one?) For piece of mind I bought the fallowing for a little tune up... a bunch of seafoam im going to put in the gas,oil and tranny to hopefully clean some shit out. Replace the air filter, spark plugs, pvc filter thingy, give it an oil change and tranny flush and filter. I signed up here for advice and learn things from all you other owners.
    Cheers
    *edit oh ya and when I put it in gear it sounds like the ac/heat fan is blowing on but coming from the engine bay.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Luke; 12-09-2018, 11:34 AM.
    1989 MGM & 2016 Tacomasigpic

Welcome to the forum.

You paint looks nice and shiny! Nice find. Good luck with the repairs.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Welcome.

I have no problem spending other peoples money, so I suggest having your transmission rebuilt by a reputable shop and get a warranty.
      In my opinion you have a nice looking car that is well worth the investment.

I wouldn't waste time or money on a used transmission. too much work and risk.
      2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Welcome!

I like the color, but I'm a bit biased, lol. That's the same color as my '91 MGM "The Scab". Yours is in much better shape though.

I would recommend having the AOD rebiult. The trans in my other '91 MGM "The Ice Car" did not have 3rd or overdirve as well when I bought the car for $500 in 2012. I swapped the trans from my '89 MGM (not a 100% direct swap, you'll want a '90-'91 CV/MGM trans, possibly even early '92 CV/MGM trans will work) making The Ice Car the 3rd car that trans has been in since my dad had it rebuilt for his '89 MGM (around 2010). 3 cars, 150k miles, and closing in on 9 years later that trans is still going strong after dad had it rebuilt so long ago.

If you go with a used trans it can be a bit of a gamble if you don't know the history of the trans.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
          Welcome!

I like the color, but I'm a bit biased, lol. That's the same color as my '91 MGM "The Scab". Yours is in much better shape though.

I would recommend having the AOD rebiult. The trans in my other '91 MGM "The Ice Car" did not have 3rd or overdirve as well when I bought the car for $500 in 2012. I swapped the trans from my '89 MGM (not a 100% direct swap, you'll want a '90-'91 CV/MGM trans, possibly even early '92 CV/MGM trans will work) making The Ice Car the 3rd car that trans has been in since my dad had it rebuilt for his '89 MGM (around 2010). 3 cars, 150k miles, and closing in on 9 years later that trans is still going strong after dad had it rebuilt so long ago.

If you go with a used trans it can be a bit of a gamble if you don't know the history of the trans.
          Thanks for the welcome guys.
          Ya true its a gamble. I found one the guy said he bought from a tranny shop that had been rebuilt, then satnon his shelf for 4 years cuz he never used it. Thats a gamble too. Hes selling for $300 cad. Out of curiousity why do you suggest a 90-92 trans? Just newer?
          Also. How do I get my photos full size?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
            ...Out of curiousity why do you suggest a 90-92 trans? Just newer?
            Also. How do I get my photos full size?
            Sorry, yours is an '89, You don't want a '90+. '90+ will work but then you have to open up the trans and swap the shift lever.
            '89 and older will be a direct swap for your '89 with no opening the trans required.

The trans you found sounds like it could be a gamble that may work out.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Welcome. I think I’d consider that $300 trans you found to be worth investigating.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Sounds like direct clutch failure, or something associated with the direct clutch. Rebuild or replace is really the way to fix it.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Wow that thing is clean. Was it on Kijiji?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                    Ya it was. He was a farmer who had no time to drive it so it sat in his barn.

Comment

Welcome!
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                        Did you see it on kijiji? I didnt see it in that ontario kijiji thread on here

Comment

Welcome! Car looks great. Best of luck with getting the trans sorted out.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Finally found a rebuilt aod with very few km on it from an 89 cv. Im going to flush it out and replace the filter before bringing it in for installation. No issue with draining the it and the torque converter and filling it after install right?

Comment

Working...
                            X