1989 MGM aod compatible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 MGM aod compatible

Hey guys my 89 marquis aod has no 3rd or overdrive. I just got the car so im learning. The tv grommet is in tact. Im shopping a new tranny but dont know whats compatible with my 89. Would any aod from any other ford work, and just have to replace shift levers? I have my eye on a rebuilt one but the guy doesnt know what car it came out of, he thinks a mustang or couger from the 80's. Its a good price
    1989 MGM & 2016 Tacomasigpic

I think any non Panther AOD will require the shift levers be swapped.

The other problem is overall length of the trans. I don't know anything about non-panthers but as far as panther transmissions go a Town Car trans will be too long. I think you can swap the tailshaft housing to make it right, but I'm not certain

'88+ I've heard are built stronger.

In order of ease of swap (direct swap to some modification required):
    '89 and older CV/MGM are the only direct swap AODs for your '89 MGM.
    '90-early '92 CV/MGM will work, but require shift lever swap.
    Some non panther AODs are probably correct length but require shift lever swap.
    '89 and older Town Car probably have the right shift lever, but tailshaft housing is too long.
    '90-early '92 TC, shift lever swap required and tailshaft is too long.

Plenty of threads on shift lever swapping around here. Here's one of many examples: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...apping-trannys
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Try to find out if it’s a 3.8 or 5.0 transmission. Either will bolt up IIRC but of course the V8 would be a bit better suited. No idea how to tell other than asking.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
        Try to find out if it’s a 3.8 or 5.0 transmission. Either will bolt up IIRC but of course the V8 would be a bit better suited. No idea how to tell other than asking.
        What engine is the 3.8? I dont know what mine is wheather its 351 or 302.
        Would a aod out of a 85 f150 work or no?
        Im pretty new at this.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
          What engine is the 3.8? I dont know what mine is wheather its 351 or 302.
          Would a aod out of a 85 f150 work or no?
          Im pretty new at this.
          3.8 was a V6 used in some Mustangs, Cougars, TBirds, and other stuff. Your car has the 5.0 V8, the only choice for a 1989 Grand Marquis.

85 F150 should be an AOD if it’s an overdrive truck. The length may be different. I think they used two versions - one for long bed and one for short bed. It’s the tailshaft that makes the length difference. Check out https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mu...n/1280743.html. They list the different tailshaft casting numbers which should be visible.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Sounds like the input shaft (two piece... the inner one) broke. It's actually 89+ that are the stronger, but it's the case only. The part that broke in your transmission can be had in a stronger form, but would require taking a trans apart to put the stronger one in.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Take a tape measure to confirm the length. The long one is about an inch and a half (some 40 mm) longer. You need the short one.

The levers on the side are different floor shift vs column, and cable shift vs rod. Its not that big a deal to change them if necessary.

I'd bet its an internal direct clutch failure, not the shaft. Its pretty hard to break that thing with a stock engine.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have another lead on a aod from a 86-87 marquis. Should be direct swap, the guy says it was working fine before and if not he'll refund my money. Id only loose out on the install fee. Seems like my cheapest gamble so far, even tho cheapest aint always the best haha

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                  3.8 was a V6 used in some Mustangs, Cougars, TBirds, and other stuff. Your car has the 5.0 V8, the only choice for a 1989 Grand Marquis.

85 F150 should be an AOD if it’s an overdrive truck. The length may be different. I think they used two versions - one for long bed and one for short bed. It’s the tailshaft that makes the length difference. Check out https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mu...n/1280743.html. They list the different tailshaft casting numbers which should be visible.
                  Thanks for the link

Comment

Working...
                  X