Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear Spoiler question Will it help to keep water out of the trunk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Spoiler question Will it help to keep water out of the trunk?

Hi guys I was wondering if a rear spoiler would help keep some of the water out of my trunk when I open it up while it has morning dew all over the car or anytime the car is wet.

If I need to put stuff in my trunk while the car is wet or I have stuff in the trunk already everything gets soaked when I open the trunk.

If anyone has one installed and knows if a spoiler will help please let me know.

Thanks
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

I don't know that a spoiler will help.
    The original design of the trunk lid uses the rubber seal both to seal against the underside of the trunk when it's closed, but also to channel any water that runs down (either between the trunk and body when the lid is closed, or off the lid onto the rear seal when the lid is opened). The water should have a clear path around between the outside of the rubber lip, to either side of the trunk, then down the sides of the trunk, where it runs out between the taillights and the bumper/license plate bracket area.

If water is getting in, first check that the gutter around the trunk is not clogged with leaves or debris.
    Then check that the rubber gasket and the lip it clips onto don't have any cracks, rust damage or dents.
    Lastly, use a pitcher or a garden hose to test the following three things:
    1. When the trunk is open, pour water into the gutter between the back window and trunk opening. The water should run around the trunk, not into it.
    2. When the trunk is closed, pour some water onto the trunk lid to make a small puddle; open the trunk lid and watch the water pour off; it should land in the gutter and run off like before.
    3. Spraying from underneath with a hose, with someone watching the open trunk, make sure no water is coming into the trunk through any holes and just LOOKING like it comes from the trunk lid. Considering your description and where you live, I think #3 is not likely, but if you don't get a good answer from the first two tests it's possible.

Comment

Thanks but I was talking about standing water on the trunk lid dripping off the back side of the trunk when I open the trunk, No water gets in the trunk while it is closed.

Comment

I still get the trunk wet with the Marauder but it might be a bit better with the spoiler.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Nope. Morning dew is condensation on a surface. It's not like rain where you can get protection from something over the top. The only real way to do this would be to create a drain rail under the plastic facia by using something like garage door edge seal (like 45 degree angle flat rubber seal) or some such to get the drips out to the edge of the trunk lid, but then it still drips into the trunk at each end as the water drips off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Might have some luck opening the trunk only part way so it rolls into the gutter before opening it fully. I've done that with my car, it lets the bulk of the water get caught in the gutter instead of being dumped into the trunk.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah I guess when I put stuff in the trunk that I do not want getting wet I will just buy a cheap cordless blower and blow the trunk off.
                Thanks for the help guys. I was liking the spoiler idea but I cringe at the thought of drilling holes to mount one, especially if it will not help much.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Might have some luck opening the trunk only part way so it rolls into the gutter before opening it fully. I've done that with my car, it lets the bulk of the water get caught in the gutter instead of being dumped into the trunk.
                  whales suck royally for trying this method. the plastic holds a lot more water and the drain holes are evenly spaced and there's about 6 or 8 of them all along the bottom. You would have to raise the lit up and then lower it and shake it a little to get all the water to start moving... then wait a bit for it to drain and THEN lift it up and put stuff in the trunk.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                  X