Rear aluminum bumpers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear aluminum bumpers?

I know this has been discussed before but due to terrible search function I am having trouble finding relevant results. Was there a rear aluminum bumper on any 1988-1991 sedans?

Yes, I have aluminum rear bumpers on my cars. I can tell by the way they are corroding rather than rusting.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Can you see if the reinforcement is aluminum as well? For some reason I thought only wagons were available with aluminum bumpers.

Also, any idea if there are holes behind the bumper guards or can the bumper guards be removed for smooth look?
      Last edited by Mr Bean; 12-16-2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

I think the reinforcement is aluminum as well, but I'll have to check to be sure. Same withe the holes behind the bumper guards, I'm fairly certain you will find holes to hold that stuff on, but would have to check to be sure.

The Ice Car had a steel front bumper when I got it, but an obviously aluminum rear bumper (pitted corrosion). After having a report run on my VIN, courtesy of another member here, I found that the car had been in a font end accident which would explain how the car ended up with a steel bumper on the front and aluminum on the rear. I'm guessing it had a matching aluminum front bumper before the accident.

I believe I read a post somewhere on the forum that mentioned for '87-down only wagons got aluminum front bumpers (and rear, but those aren't the same as sedan bumpers as you know), but I have no idea if that is true.
        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

There are indeed aluminum rear bumpers available.

Anyone know if there are holes behind the 2 vertical rubber strips or only at the very bottom and hidden behind the horizontal strip?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1284958

Comment

Well I got a wagon rear bumper for my Vic and it is wider than stock and has holes for the vertical strips. I dunno what I want to do now as it wil look funky super wide.
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
              Yes, I have aluminum rear bumpers on my cars. I can tell by the way they are corroding rather than rusting.
              Corroding is the same as rusting, don't ya know.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Technically, yes I know. For commoners such as myself I made the non-specific comparison, which I believe is commonly understood, as opposed to the more specific description of aluminum oxide corrosion appearance versus iron oxide appearance to demonstrate how I know I have aluminum bumpers. LOL

I haven't gotten around to getting under there and looking at the inner reinforcement to see if it is also aluminum. Let me know if you haven't already looked at it on the parts cars you have looked at.
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

police sedans had alum rear bumpers
                  I'm not completely oblivious to reality, I just choose to reject it when it doesn't line up with my opinions. (thanx Thain!)

Comment

Hi,

Long time. Kid is grown a bit, so more time for car now.

I have a line on some replacement bumpers, donor car is ‘83 CV. How do I know if they are both steel front and rear for that year?
                    Last edited by BigMikeIT; 04-02-2019, 07:15 AM.
                    sigpic
                    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
                    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
                    COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMikeIT View Post
                      Hi,

Long time. Kid is grown a bit, so more time for car now.

I have a line on some replacement bumpers, donor car is ‘83 CV. How do I know if they are both steel front and rear for that year?
                      Most likely steel on both. Take a magnet. It will stick to steel but not aluminum.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Hmm. Same for an ‘85?

I guess, what year did the alum become an ‘option’ ? Or was is an aftermarket item?
                        sigpic
                        1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
                        302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
                        COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

Do you guys know if this is aluminum or steel? I tried searching the part number but nothing comes up and seller is not taking questions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE...XxH4x#shpCntId

Comment

No info on this part number. Ford hasn't released a master parts catalog for 1990+, which in theory means any Ford dealer still has the information and can look it up. Bob Allen Ford has three of the part number you listed, so you might try them.

I can tell you that 88-89 sedans all used steel rear bumpers according to Master Parts Catalog. The original part number for the no bumper guard hole version was E8AZ-17906-D, replaced by F0AZ-17906-G. The version with holes was E8AZ-17906-B, replaced by F0AZ-17906-F. Again, all of these versions are noted as STEEL.

If someone had the crash pages for these cars, it would tell us (most likely).
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Getting some conflicting info here. Anyone know for sure whether or not there was an aluminum rear for a sedan? Better yet post a pic.

Comment

Working...
                              X