R134a conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R134a conversion

Im installing the compressor and new ac components on my 87 grand marquis, how much pag oil and r134a did you guys end up using who have done the swap? I have 3 ounces of pag oil and 36 ounces of r134a waiting. Im just curious since the capacity is different than r12.

8 ounces of oil. You're good on R134a. Should need somewhere between 24 and 30 oz, but it depends on what the pressures are doing. I use Ester Oil personally. Doesn't really matter which if you manage to use AC flush and clear out everything of the old oil. The oil should be 2 ounces in the dryer, 2 in the condenser, 2 in the evap and 2 in the compressor. The rule of thumb is that the high side pressure in psi should be about 3x the ambient temps (2.5-3x is fine). Low side should be about 35psi under steady state. Of course, do not remove the caps on the dryer until you are ready to install it and draw a vacuum on the system.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I run ester oil in mine, but 8 ounces is dry system capacity. Just be sure you have no other oil in there. Compressors are usually not shipped bone dry. If the compressor has some oil, you'll need to know what it is since PAG doesn't play nice with anything else.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok cool Ill get more pag oil. Everything is brand new except the condensor. The compressor came with a tag saying that it can be used with either r12 or r134a so maybe it came dry? My buddy does ac so hes going to flush it and pull a vacuum on it. Im hoping all will work well, hopefully soon Ill know. This project has been very slow but its coming along nicely now.

Comment

Working...
        X