Door panel splash shield replacement materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door panel splash shield replacement materials

Pretty much all the splash shields on my doors are toast. I was looking into an idea to replace them, but I need some suggesstions on material to use. Any ideas?

The plan is to purchase this 3M hook and loop tape to provide an easy way to remove the replacement shields for door maintenance.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Try construction garbage bags

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-50-G...0362/203378700

Comment

It is more of a vapor barrier than a splash guard. They were sealed with the black butyl tape to ensure little to no moisture would go through to the porous door panel backing material. I myself laminated a large sheet of paper and used that as the new splash guard and secured it in a couple spots with packaging tape. I am sure your method will get the job done just fine. May stick out a smidge more but if all is well with your door panel christmas tree receptacles (push pins) than it should not be an issue.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by rellik god View Post
        +1 Did that with the ‘87. Original paper/plastic ones were ruined or missing entirely. Definitely need them though. My driver’s door card got some mold on it since it was missing the barrier for so long.

While you’re in the door, adding some sound deadener would be a good option.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Heavy plastic works, or if you can get some scrap Tyvek wrap from a home construction project, that works perfectly too. basically as long as its waterproof, you're good.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Maybe I'll try looking for a roll of heavy plastic sheet. I want something that is wide enough to cover the door panel without splicing pieces together.
            —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
            1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
            1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
            1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

If you happen to live near a marina that shrink wraps boats for storage, that material would work nicely.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                If you happen to live near a marina that shrink wraps boats for storage, that material would work nicely.
                That is what I use. It works perfectly. My neighbor gave me the mylar when he uncovered his boat last summer. I have enough straight pieces for about 20 panels.

Comment

Working...
                X