Converter came out with engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converter came out with engine

So I had to do some things on the bottom of the motor and I lifted it. I took the nuts off the converter studs but when lifting the motor, the converter came out with the engine.
    I am now trying to get the engine back in and cannot line the converter up with the input shaft and go back in together.
    Is there a way to get this back together with the converter stuck to the crank or a way to pry the converter off so I can get it back onto the trans properly?
    Thanks.
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Jeeze that does not sound like fun at all. Personally I would get the converter off the flex plate anyway possible so you can install it onto the transmission properly...engaging all of the steps.

You try gently with a two or three prybars evenly spread across the flex plate to POP the converter loose?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Remove the converter from the engine completely and load it into the trans. You'll never get it together otherwise, or you might but its going to break the pump. There are three sets of splines that engage in there, and it requires some fucking about to make it go. You'll feel it engage them as you rotate the converter, once everything is lined up it slides in far enough to clear the flexplate.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Definitely need to remove the converter from the flex plate. I messed around for 40 minutes one time trying to get the converter to drop into the transmission on the bench. I verify proper distance from converter mounting pads to bell-housing face to ensure the seating is correct. Improper pump engagement= no bueno.

Sometimes the snout on the converter is a really tight fit in the crank; gentle prying and maybe a little penetrant (clean it off before reassembly).
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
        X