Are AOD modulators fragile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are AOD modulators fragile?

I ordered a new Motorcraft modulator to stow away until I do my HO swap. I dropped it on our tile floor when I went to put it back in the box. No visible damage, but it sounds like a burned out incandescent bulb when I shake it. I'm assuming nothing happened to it, but I feel the need to ask anyway.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

What are you calling the modulator?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...k=386293&jsn=3
      —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

There is no spoon?

Looks like a vacuum related bit. Could be wrong though.
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

there is no vacuum shift modulator on an AOD. I believe that is a part from a C4 trans.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

there is no spoon.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Hmm. Must have read something wrong somewhere else.

Edit: I had read this thread stating that one of the things you need for an HO swap is a Mustang/Mark VII governor. If it’s not the modulator I have, then what is the governor it’s talking about?
              Last edited by Giraffe; 12-25-2018, 12:18 PM.
              —John

Comment

thats the governor. different part, and annoyingly not readily available anymore for the stock HO part. Its not exactly all that much, its a spring and a weight. Change either and the shift point changes.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Is it absolutely necessary for an HO swap?
                  —John

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                    Is it absolutely necessary for an HO swap?
                    I say it is worth it and here is why. The ho cam, explorer cam or whatever cam you put in will allow the engine to rev out more so than the lopo stick did. The lopo stick was tuned (I use that word loosely) to work with that lopo governor shifting the tranny at a lower RPM because there was no need to rev it out more. You swap in the HO governor and you can use the extra rpms instead of the LOPO governor shifting earlier than your engine can handle.

It is not too bad to swap. One option is the transgo HI Rev kit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trg-aod-hirev

Here is my install of it:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post775133
                    ~David~

Comment

absolutely needed, no, but it will get you a little something.

Honestly what would make this easier is some data on the spring rates and the weights used in the 3 different ones. (the trucks had one that shift right between the point the HO and lopo ones do) Its possible that you might be able to do something simple like adding a washer as a shim to make it work.

The Transgo thing honestly wants an engine that can make power beyond what the stock HO can do. The cam isn't the issue so much as the heads and intake. They just stop breathing by 5000 rpm.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        absolutely needed, no, but it will get you a little something.

Honestly what would make this easier is some data on the spring rates and the weights used in the 3 different ones. (the trucks had one that shift right between the point the HO and lopo ones do) Its possible that you might be able to do something simple like adding a washer as a shim to make it work.

The Transgo thing honestly wants an engine that can make power beyond what the stock HO can do. The cam isn't the issue so much as the heads and intake. They just stop breathing by 5000 rpm.
                        Thats a good point. The transgo kit increases the shift points even more so than a stock HO governor would. It maybe the easiest off the shelf part to find though.

If I missed it I apologize for asking, but what heads, camshaft and intake are you planning along with your HO swap?
                        ~David~

Comment

Standard E7 heads and HO cam with an Explorer intake. Sticking with E7s since I don’t want to chance over doing it with the speed density.
                          —John

Comment

Understood. The hi rev kit from transgo may be more than you need, but easily attainable. Good luck in whatever you may end up doing.
                            ~David~

Comment

I had the stock governor. And didn't have an issue. Shift points were changed via the valve body swap.

Comment

Working...
                              X