Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Odissey continues: Fuel pump for a 1987 Colony Park?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you have that blue hose running to that comes off the throttle body? It’s not hooked to the PCV valve is it?

That breather line should be run over to the barb coming off the oil fill pipe. I doubt it’s causing your shutoff, but it’s worth having hooked up correctly to ensure it’s not sucking air from somewhere it shouldn’t.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

awful clattery sounding too. You may have some valvetrain issues that should be looked into.

Check the vac routing, the blue hose as mentioned doesn't appear to be going where it should. Would be worth knowing where it is connected, and if something else is disconnected. The PCV valve is the only thing at the rear center of the lower intake, but that connects to a vacuum line that runs from the front center underneath the intake, loops through a T on the bottom corner of the upper, and then goes to the PCV valve itself. If that hose is hanging loose somewhere it is a major vacuum leak and will cause trouble.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Wow, is a very important information. My mechanic left the hoses with those connections and I don´t remember the previous location of them, but I saw the barb without a connection and I think it was only a steam exhaust. I will check were is connected the blue hose. Those vac lines diagrams are available in any literature material? (Haynes, Chilton?)
        The valvetrain sound...I have a suspicion about it, but you confirm that, thanks that you have a expert ear!

Also, I ordered this EGR and seems to be a different model and doesn´t fit the car. I bought several spare parts from this supplier and let myself be guided by the "compatibility table" from the ebay webpage:
        https://www.ebay.com/itm/EGR-Valve-f...53.m2749.l2649

I´m depressed with this situation, because I paid a lot of money on mechanic work and change a lot of parts, the engine was completely disasembled and still persist the problem. I think I´m giving up, but my intention to save the wagon is strong, but my wallet and mind says "no more"

To make the problem worse, I have a "Oil lagoon" under the car dripping from the transmission...
        Last edited by JesusGM; 01-26-2019, 11:47 PM.

Comment

That's a truck EGR valve. The truck 302/351s use a considerably different upper intake setup compared to sedan ones.

I wouldn't give up on your wagon just yet. If you're handy enough, you can get the vacuum lines squared away. I'll see about scanning my '87 EVTM for the vacuum routing stuff when I've got a little time. If the transmission leak is from the pan, redoing the gasket and refilling with some fresh fluid isn't terribly difficult.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

yeah, thats the external feed style EGR. The proper car ones don't have a threaded pipe connection.

Also possible its the connection fittings on the side of the trans. Not sure if they were still using the quick connects in 87, but those things fail and leak badly.

This is what I can get out of alldata for vacuum connections. Its not extremely detailed unfortunately. The emissions one should be the same as what is under the hood.

Thats from a Mustang, but its pretty close to the same. The one marked "capped off" goes to the MAP sensor.

basically the most important thing is to have no open vacuum connections or the engine will not run correctly.
            Attached Files
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Quick connects on my 87's tranny.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

OK, so thats answered. If you can determine the trans oil is leaking from the pipes on the passenger side, you may need a pair of these

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-60...Dorman+800-608

If you're buying them, I'd get 4. There are 2 at the trans end, and two at the radiator. Its a common issue, especially if they have been unscrewed. You'll need the disconnect tool to remove them.

Comment

Ok guys, I change the connections of the blue hose and repositioned the (apparently) correct hose. Still need to diasembled and check the connection shown on the pic of Gadget. Now the engine doesn´t stop, but still stalls.

Also, I found a barb without hose on the passenger´s side (with the red arrow), any idea where it goes?

Click image for larger version

Name:	mecury vac2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	1285041
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	mercury vac.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1285040

Comment

If I remember correctly... That should be the smaller port on the smog pump that would go to the cruise control servo to assist in pulling vacuum in high load situations to keep the cruise engaged. It's not needed for normal operation.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The one on the side of the smog pump gets a vacuum line, the one on top does not. It splits from the cruise control hoses that go to the tree on the firewall. There is a T fitting, one side goes to the cruise control, the other goes down to this fitting. Its not needed to run correctly, but if the hose is just open it can cause you trouble. If you have an open fitting or hose behind the engine that goes to the cruise, cap it off.

Comment

Hi everyone, long time lurking here but never a member until now. A lot of very useful information, and people that really knows about the panther platform.
                        Anyways, I’m just posting now because I have 2 things in common with the OP: 1) I have a Crown Vic (1990), and 2) I also live in Chile (Santiago, the capitol city). I bought the car more than 10 years ago (I think 2004 or 2005) and I had the same kind of problems: bad mechanics, parts locally unavailable, etc. But in these years finally I could make the car runs as smooth as a silk, and I’m very confident on it: on 2017 my family and I did a 1000 miles trip (probably a little bit more) to the north area of Chile, and a few months after that we went to a sky resort that is located 300 miles from Santiago. And we did the same last year, so the car runs good and in general I have no problems with her.
                        Also, I have some parts that I can sell you for cheap or even give you, because I ‘ve been replacing or changing the stock parts. Here in my Crownvic.net account I have a summary of the new parts and modifications that I did to the car. Still I want to do some things: improve the handling, install headers, HO conversion, etc:
                        New water pump/new air pump/New Visteon radiator/Transmission oil cooler/ New heater core/hoses/belts/No more vinyl roof/New valve cover gaskets/New ignition module/New ignition coil/Completely rebuilt front end/Headlamps: Bosch H4 with Osram 60/55w bulbs and Cibie H1 with Osram 55w bulbs/Suspension: Front: new Moog rubber bushings, heavy duty civilian coil springs, Monroe SensaTrac load adjusting shock absorbers, wagon sway bar and poly bushings and endlinks. Rear: new Raybestos rubber bushings, sedan cargo coils, Monroe Max Air shock absorbers and police sway bar/3.55 gears and Dual Exhaust.
                        I also have a 2002 Ford Crown Victoria. Probably I’m the only guy here in Chile that is the owner of 2 Crown Vics, lol.
                        Well, send me a PM if you are interested and maybe I can help you locally.

Comment

Working...
                        X