Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Odissey continues: Fuel pump for a 1987 Colony Park?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the the correct Ignition Pickup?

https://www.amazon.com/Wells-F122-Di...p+mercury+1987

Comment

For the record, I change the TFI for a Motorcraft 1 year ago. About 1 month ago, when the problem gets bigger, my mechanic says that the TFI went bad and put another module (not original). The problem was apparently solved, but the stall and shut off persist a couple days after the replacement. Could this being produced by the bad PIP?, I mean, the defect on the Motorcraft module.

Comment

The PIP is down inside the distributor. Its not the TFI, but it drives the TFI. They can get funny with heat. No guarantee its your problem.

and I believe that is the correct pickup.

Is the timing properly set? If its not done right, the engine might stall. Vacuum leaks also tend to make it stall. It might also surge a lot. Temperature sensors that are bad might do it.

http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page10.html

If the EGR valve sticks open that would also make it want to stall

bad MAP sensors make them run pretty terrible too

Can you get a video of how the engine runs? That might help

I really just hate to tell people to throw parts at problems.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok guys, I got the code reader today, and the results were:

in KOEO:
          23:Throttle position sensor signal out of range?
          34:EGR Problems?

in CM:
          18: Loss of tachometer input (the car doesn´t have tachometer on dashboard), IDM circuit failure or SPOUT circuit grounded. it doesn´t sound good...
          34: same EGR Problems?

in KOER:
          21:Coolant temperature sensor. (where is located?) I think I´m confusing it with the dashboard temperature sensor, which my Colony Park has no light.
          23: Throttle position?
          41: HEGO (HO2S) sensor voltage low. Is this referred to the oxigen sensor?
          91:HEGO Sensor voltage low
          and 34, again...

I´m a bit lost with all this info. If I understand, the EGR needs replacement, also, the engine coolant sensor and the oxigen sensor need a replacement too...
          But which one of all those problems could be the main problem of engine shut off?.
          I remember about the code 18 is a terrible code in another thread, is it?, the car is death?
          I already bought a new EGR, MAP sensor (just in case), new PIP and distributor cap and rotor...
          Hope your wisdom could help me!!
          Last edited by JesusGM; 01-09-2019, 05:38 PM.

Comment

KOEO
            23 - bad throttle position sensor most likely. This will cause a lot of stalling and running issues
            34 - egr, could be a lot of things, but it won't cause the engine to stall
            CM
            18 - this usually means the connection between the coil and the ECM is open. There are two green wires at the ignition coil. One comes from the ignition module, the other goes to the ECM through a resistor. If both of those wires are not connected, you'll get this.
            34 - see above

Just a note, the CM codes just mean this happened at some point. It may not be an ongoing issue. Usually I'd suggest clearing these and checking to see if it comes back. If it does not, call it good.

KOER
            21 - was the engine warmed up? If not, you will get this code. If the engine was up to temperature, the sensor is in the fitting where the heater hose attaches on the passenger side of the engine. Its a 2 wire sensor.
            23 - TPS is bad
            41 - oxygen sensor reads lean. This may be a vacuum leak, or it might be a problem related to the smog pump. Try removing the belt from the smog pump to see if it goes away
            91 - same thing, other side

34 means the EGR is either stuck partly open, or the sensor is bad. Unplug the green hose to see if it has vacuum on it. if it does, the control solenoid is bad. Leave the hose off and re-test, you should get a code 33. If it does not, remove the valve and make sure there is nothing holding it partly open. If it is closed and not getting vacuum, the sensor is probably at fault or the wrong one. I have fixed this by lightly filing the end of the position sensor until the reading is correct. The valve MUST be fully closed though, or the engine will be prone to stalling.

Based on your codes, I'd replace the TPS and check the EGR valve first. Clear the codes once you fix those two problems and see what comes back. If the engine was warmed up, replace the coolant temp sensor too.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks Gadget!!! Really helpful!

I´m not sure if the engine was properly warmed up, i let the engine run some minutes, but will try it again but sometimes, the engine stop and doesn´t allow me to mantain the idle.
              About the oxigen sensor, it needs to be a HEGO? (heated sensor), or could be an EGO?
              how about this one?
              https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-13953-O...ct_top?ie=UTF8

About the EGR, I bought a new one, so I will replace it. I will do your test anyway, but if you say that it could not be the main cause of my problem...
              I´m trying to find a correct TPS to replace it too!
              Thanks!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190110_110532971.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1284979Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190110_110548135.jpg
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1284980Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190110_110554422.jpg
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1284981

Is this the remperature sensor?
                Looks pretty different to what I saw on the web.
                Also, it looks glued previously. Click image for larger version

ID:	1284981Click image for larger version

ID:	1284981Click image for larger version

ID:	1284981

Comment

Yes that is the engine coolant temperature sensor that the ECM uses to adjust fuel mixture. Definitely get that replaced.

E1AZ12A648A or whatever compatible sensor that part number may have been superceded with.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

honestly I have never had a HEGO code that was actually because of a bad sensor. If it says its lean, usually it really is lean.

If the engine isn't warmed up, you might get codes for these too. Same if the temperature sensor is bad or if the EGR is hanging open.

Comment

yeah... fix the ones that are obviously broken, like the temp sensor, reset the codes, and see what comes back. It takes longer to fix things completely, but it will get done that way without just throwing parts and money at it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Guys, I bought a Motorcraft temp sensor, but connectors are different, so I need to replace it for the new one included, but how I know which cable need to be attached to the new one? Any idea?
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190123_185931462.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1285031
                        Attached Files

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the temp sensor is just a resistor so it does not matter which wire is connected to green and which one is connected to black.
                          The resistance of the sensor changes with temperature and will measure the same either way.
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I'm using the new style sensor. Just cut the old connector off and wire in the new one.

My Cars:
                            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

+1 polarity is not an issue here.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I changed the temp. Sensor, TPS Sensor and pending the EGR replacement. Still with the same problem....
                                In KOEO test only remains the EGR code 34.
                                I upload a video about the problem. The engine starts ok, but after some minutes it stall and shut off. After that, it start again (no coil and TFI problems, since was replaced)

Comment

Working...
                                X