brake/turn signal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake/turn signal

Whenever i set my turn signal for a right turn my right rear turn signal flashes aswell as the third brake light, has any one ever had this issue? Id just like to know how to fix it, thanks.

Welcome.

Is this an 85 (going by your user name)?

Did it just start this or has it been doing it as long as you owned it?

An 85 should not have a third brake light unless it’s very very late production. Possible someone added it. Take a peak at the wiring to see if it’s factory.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

If someone added the 3rd incorrectly by tapping off the RH brake light, it will do this. There really isn't any other way to make a third brake light flash. Its supposed to feed directly off the brake switch, where the two tail lights go from the brake switch through the turn signal switch and then out to the lamps. Thats how it switches from steady on bright brake light to flashing bright turn signal. Fair bet someone didn't want to run a wire all the way up front under the dash so they cheated.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

thanks for the replies, the car has been doing this since ive owned it and based on the replies ive recieved ill be wiring this directly to the brake switch, thanks again.

Comment

You now have a turn signal that other idiot drivers will see and won't ride your tail and be assholes.

Comment

hah, you're funny. You actually think people pay attention to the cars in front of them.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I worked on a Caddy Eldorado Years ago that when the brakes were applied every light came on all the turning signals, parking lights indicators, etc.
              All because someone put in a single element 1156 bulb where a 1157 dual element bulb was needed.
              I agree check the basics look for modified wiring then if needed make sure the correct bulbs are installed.
              2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

so i tried to wire in the third brake light properly, but the issue is there are two green wires after the brake pedal switch, and i dont know which one to solder into. some assistance would be appreciated, thanks

Comment

Light green is the switched output. Light green / red is the constant + in.

Comment

Working...
                  X