1986 CV Door Switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 CV Door Switches

So, on my 1986 Crown Victoria, the driver's door power window switch is intermittent. I opened up the door panel and the connector (switch side) is broken, probably by the last person to remove the door panel (who also ripped the liner, bent the panel, lost half the retainers, and only put half the screws back in).

Also, the door lock switch is physically broken, as is the one on the other side.

I looked online, but the replacement switches don't match mine. Mine is a single row of 5 window switches (4 windows and a lock), and the lock switch is a rocker behind the door handle. The lock pin is also behind the door handle and moved fore/aft instead of the usual up/down at the top corner of the door.

I believe this style is the "base trim" or "lower line" style of switch arrangement, per the Ford manuals.

Does anyone sell the replacements for these switches?

Also, while I'm in there, what size speakers fit well in the door? The driver's door panel is damaged in the lower front, very close to that speaker hole. It looks to be a 5 1/4" but I don't know how much room there is behind it (and I was busy trying to get the mirror in so I could drive it; I'm back on the road with a duct tape door liner and the door panel in the trunk...)

Thanks!
    Ben

Is yours the switch setup that attaches to the flat part of the door panel instead of the bank of switches on top of the arm rest?

Usually the switches can be taken apart and cleaned, but I've never done that style. Probably nothing too hard to figure out though. Mostly rocker switches are all similar. Find the tab where the rocker axle sits and see if it will pry over a smidge and let the rocker come out. Once thats out you should be able to get in there to polish the contacts or just shoot some contact cleaner in there.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep, it's the style that attaches to the door panel in front of the armrest, not on it.
      If it were a matter of cleaning the contacts, it would be easy. The housing is broken and the missing piece is part of the retainer for the connector and the part it plugs into. The switches themselves are good, but the connector only makes intermittent contact with the pins as the door panel flexes. I'll probably use some firestop putty to semi-permanently hold the chunks together until I find a replacement.

I opened up the door lock switch and the plastic piece that holds the contact was broken; unfortunately the little contact tab flew off into my friend's garage so there's no fixing that one either. I'll live without power locks for a while.

Comment

I think the part number you are looking for is D9AZ14529B, although I don't know that for sure.
        https://www.ebay.com/p/1979-Ford-Ltd...d=323581799042
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I have the main switch and 2 door lock switches. I may have the wiring too, I Have to check for that. Chrome is mint on switches, just dusty in the picture. WagonMan. Contact me if you are interested. VEIGHTPETE@GMAIL.COM
          Attached Files
          89 Colony Park
          90 Colony Park
          70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Working...
          X